Senator MacKinnon Newsletters
- Senator MacKinnon's Special Session Update May 24, 2016
- Senator MacKinnon's Capitol Connections #12 2016
- Senator MacKinnon's Capitol Connections #11 2016
- Senator MacKinnon's Capitol Connections #10 2016
- Senator MacKinnon's Special Bulletin #2, 2016
- Show Full Newsletter Archive (18) >>
District G, Republican
Anna MacKinnon is a lifelong Alaskan. She has called Eagle River home since 1985, where she resides with her husband John. Her two sons, daughter-in-law, and grandson remain in Eagle River and call this community home as well. Anna studied finance at the University of Alaska after graduating from Service High School in Anchorage. She served on the Anchorage Assembly for seven years prior to being elected to the Alaska State House of Representatives in 2006. In 2012, she was elected to the State Senate and represents District G which includes Eagle River, South Fork Valley, Eagle River Valley, Birchwood, and JBER.
Before her election to the House of Representatives, Anna was the Executive Director of STAR - Standing Together Against Rape. She then served as the Development Director for Hospice of Anchorage for six years.
Anna has been active in numerous community organizations over the years including service on; the Anchorage Assembly as past Chair and Vice Chair, the Mayor's 9/11 Task Force, was the AMATS Assembly Liaison, served on the National Sexual Violence & Resource Committee (NSVRC) and is a founding board member of the Alaska Veterans Museum.
She currently serves as Co-chair of the Senate Finance Committee, chairs the Departments of Law and Revenue Budget Subcommittees, and is a member of the Department of Administration, Governor, Legislature, and University Budget Subcommittees.
She is Vice-chair of the Legislative Budget and Audit Committee and is a member of the Joint Armed Services Committee, Legislative Council, and Community & Regional Affairs Committee.
- Graduate of Service High School, Anchorage, Alaska
- Studied Finance at UAA & UAF
Alaska State Senate:
- Co-Chair, Senate Finance Committee: 2015
- Vice-Chair, Legislative Budget & Audit Committee: 2015
- Community & Regional Affairs Committee: 2015
- Legislative Council: 2015
- Joint Armed Services Committee: 2013 – present
- Chair, Legislative Budget & Audit Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Vice-Chair, Senate Finance Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Senate Resources Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Senate Transportation Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Senate TAPS Throughput Committee: 2013 – 2014
Alaska State House of Representatives 2007-2012:
- Chair, House Special Committee on Fiscal Policy: 2011 - 2012
- Vice-Chair, House Finance Committee: 2011-2012
- Co-Chair, House Community & Regional Affairs Committee: 2007 - 2008
- Co-Chair, Anchorage Caucus: 2007 - 2008
- Vice-Chair, House Ways & Means Special Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Finance Committee: 2009 - 2012
- House Health, Education & Social Services Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Resources Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Rules Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Transportation Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Military & Veterans’ Affairs Special Committee: 2007 - 2008
Other Political and Government Positions:
- Co-Chair of the Labor and Economic Development Committee for NCSL: 2011-2012; 2014 - 2016
- Women in Government, State Director: 2007 - 2013
- Chair, Energy Task Force: 2008 - 2010
- National Sexual Violence & Resource Center: 2003 - 2010
- Chair, CDVSA Task Force: 2007 - 2008
- Anchorage Assembly: 1999 - 2007
- AMATS Assembly Liaison
Business and Professional Positions:
- Development Director for Hospice of Anchorage: 2007 - 2013
- Former Executive Director, STAR - Standing Together Against Rape
- United Food & Commercial Workers, Local 1496, Membership Services
Service Organizations and Community Involvement:
- Founding Board Member, Alaska Veterans Museum
- Anchorage Republican Women
- Chugiak/Eagle River Chamber of Commerce
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center, Former Advisory Board Member
- Chugiak Senior Center, Lifetime Member
- Commonwealth North
SB 6 is in direct response to a number of concerns raised by my constituents, fellow Alaskans, and various groups that would like to repeal daylight saving time in Alaska.
Studies have shown that there are adverse effects on our health, sleep cycles, work productivity, safety, and overall wellbeing during the time that we go on and off daylight saving time. According to a study completed in 2012, daylight saving time led to a decrease in productivity at work. Two different studies conducted in 2012 found the rate of heart attacks increases, and multiple studies completed in the past 20 years have found that the rate of traffic accidents increase during the first days and weeks of daylight saving time in March.
Senate Joint Resolution 2 proposes to place a constitutional amendment before the voters during the fall 2016 general election. This bill amends Article IX, sec. 8, of the Alaska Constitution and would authorize state General Obligation (GO) debt for the purpose of funding state education loans for Alaska students.