Investing in Our Next Generation
Educate and Train Alaskans for the Future of Our State
No one questions that education is a smart investment for the future of each student and our state as a whole. Our members hold a diverse portfolio of convictions on the best course to chart for Alaska's educational future.
As the Senate Majority we focus on accountability and standards, making sure that Alaska's educational dollars are being used to the greatest effect in the classroom.
We promote opportunity and choice for Alaska's parents and students – empowering students to pursue learning in different ways, whether in traditional classroom settings or in a charter school environment.
In 2015, the State of Alaska is facing a devastating drop in revenue. While cutting some departments by more than 30%, the Senate Majority asked for a reduction in the Base Student Allocation (BSA) of 1.4%. In an environment of scarce resources, the Senate Majority's focus has been finding revenue neutral ways to encourage excellence in education. These include:
- Post-Secondary Student Loans, SJR 2 >
- Protecting Parental Rights, SB 89 >
- Accountability for Department of Education, SB 80 >
- Protecting Student Data, SB 3 >
- Establishing a Task Force for Civics Education, SCR 1 >
- Establishing Alaska School Choice Week, SCR 3 >
- Reemployment of Retired Teachers, SB 79 >
- Unfunded Mandates to Schools, SB 102 >