Eagle River, Eagle River Valley, Southfork Valley, Birchwood, JBER
Member News more >
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed a lean capital budget for Fiscal Year 2019, appropriating $148.6 million in unrestricted general funds (UGF) to leverage over $1.1 billion in federal funds.
JUNEAU – In the midst of declining test scores and school enrollment, rising healthcare costs, and struggles with teacher retention and morale, the Alaska Senate today advanced a series of bills to reverse the downward trend of educational outcomes in Alaska....
“Today’s Senate action is welcome news for Alaskans who depend on safe roads and infrastructure,” said Sen. Anna MacKinnon, R-Eagle River. “By leveraging federal highway funds, we realize a 10 to 1 return for general fund dollars that we invest around the state.”...
On day one, the Senate proposed a path forward including reductions, reforms and revenue. Our operating budget was completed by day 60. It proposed $450 million in cuts to state agencies, which was in addition to last year’s cuts of more than $750 million.
District G, Republican
Anna MacKinnon is a lifelong Alaskan. She has called Eagle River home since 1985, where she resides with her husband John. Her two sons, daughter-in-law, and grandsons remain in Eagle River and call this community home as well. Anna studied accounting at the University of Alaska after graduating from Service High School in Anchorage. She served on the Anchorage Assembly for seven years prior to being elected to the Alaska State House of Representatives in 2006.
In 2012, she was elected to the State Senate and represents District G which includes Eagle River, South Fork Valley, Eagle River Valley, Birchwood, and JBER. Before her election to the House of Representatives, Anna was the Executive Director of STAR - Standing Together Against Rape. She then served as the Development Director for Hospice of Anchorage for six years.
Anna has been active in numerous community organizations over the years including service on; the Anchorage Assembly as past Chair and Vice Chair, the Mayor's 911 Task Force, was the AMATS Assembly Liaison, served on the National Sexual Violence & Resource Committee (NSVRC) and is a founding board member of the Alaska Veterans Museum. She currently serves as Co-chair of the Senate Finance Committee, chairs the Departments of Corrections and Revenue Budget Subcommittees, and is a member of the Department of Administration, Governor, Legislature, and University Budget Subcommittees. She is a member of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, Joint Armed Services Committee, Legislative Council, Rules Committee, Transportation Committee, and Community & Regional Affairs Committee.
- Graduate of Service High School, Anchorage, Alaska
- Studied Accounting at UAA & UAF
Alaska State Senate:
- Co-Chair, Senate Finance Committee: 2015 - present
- Member, Legislative Budget & Audit Committee: 2017 -
- Member, Legislative Council: 2015 - present
- Member, Joint Armed Services Committee: 2013 - present
- Member, Senate Community & Regional Affairs Committee: 2015 – present
- Member, Senate Rules Committee: 2017 –
- Member, Senate Transportation Committee: 2017 –
- Vice-Chair, Legislative Budget & Audit Committee: 2015-2016
- Chair, Legislative Budget & Audit Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Vice-Chair, Senate Finance Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Senate Resources Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Senate Transportation Committee: 2013 – 2014
- Senate TAPS Throughput Committee: 2013 – 2014
Alaska State House of Representatives 2007-2012:
- Chair, House Special Committee on Fiscal Policy: 2011 - 2012
- Vice-Chair, House Finance Committee: 2011-2012
- Co-Chair, House Community & Regional Affairs Committee: 2007 - 2008
- Co-Chair, Anchorage Caucus: 2007 - 2008
- Vice-Chair, House Ways & Means Special Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Finance Committee: 2009 - 2012
- House Health, Education & Social Services Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Resources Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Rules Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Transportation Committee: 2007 - 2008
- House Military & Veterans’ Affairs Special Committee: 2007 - 2008
Other Political and Government Positions:
- Member, Executive Committee for NCSL: 2015 – present
- Vice-Chair, Budgets and Revenue Committee for NCSL: 2017 –
- Member, Natural Resources & Infrastructure Committee for NCSL: 2017 –
- Member, International Relations Task Force for NCSL: 2017 -
- Co-Chair of the Labor and Economic Development Committee for NCSL: 2011 - 2012; 2014 - 2016
- Women in Government, State Director: 2007 - 2013
- Chair, Energy Task Force: 2008 - 2010
- National Sexual Violence & Resource Center: 2003 - 2010
- Chair, CDVSA Task Force: 2007 - 2008
- Anchorage Assembly: 1999 - 2007
- AMATS Assembly Liaison
Business and Professional Positions:
- Development Director for Hospice of Anchorage: 2007 - 2013
- Former Executive Director, STAR - Standing Together Against Rape
- United Food & Commercial Workers, Local 1496, Membership Services
Service Organizations and Community Involvement:
- Founding Board Member, Alaska Veterans Museum
- Anchorage Republican Women
- Chugiak/Eagle River Chamber of Commerce
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center, Former Advisory Board Member
- Chugiak Senior Center, Lifetime Member
- Commonwealth North
Legislation more >
Senate Bill 104 will allow the Department of Education, in consultation with school districts, to find the best curriculum for English/Language Arts and Math from around the world.
Senate Bill 192 proposes to strengthen the privacy rights of Alaskans by providing an opt-out provision that ensures confidentiality of their physical and mailing address and increases the fee charged by the Division...
This legislation extends the sunset provision on the Alaska comprehensive health insurance fund by six years, from June 30, 2018 to June 30, 2024 to allow for the continuation of the Alaska Reinsurance Program and...
If an athlete is injured or needs a prescription filled while traveling in Alaska, the team physician would not be able to provide care without being licensed here Senate Bill 126 would provide an exemption for state...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska