Ketchikan, Sitka, Wrangell, Metlakatla, Craig, Petersburg, Klawock & Hoonah
Member News more >
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a confidential audit related to the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority.
ANCHORAGE – Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) today announced he will serve on the National Petroleum Council (NPC) following his appointment to the board by the Secretary of the Department of Energy, Rick Perry.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed a resolution urging the federal government to take action and protect Alaska’s shellfish for subsistence, commercial, and recreational use from predation by sea otters.
Southeast Alaska District R, Republican
A fourth-generation Alaskan, Senator Stedman was raised in Petersburg and Sitka, spending several years working in commercial fishing and construction. After receiving a business degree from the University of Oregon in 1985, Stedman founded Pioneer Capital Management, the Sitka investment services firm he managed until 2016.
In 2003 Senator Stedman was appointed to the Alaska State Senate by Governor Frank Murkowski. Senator Stedman was elected to the seat in 2004 and reelected in 2008, 2012 and 2016. Previously the Senator served four years on the Sitka City & Borough Assembly and eight years on the Sitka Planning Commission.
Senator Stedman served as Co-Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee from 2007 - 2012. He is currently the Chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee, Chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, and is a member of the Senate Resources Committee, Senate Community & Regional Affairs Committee, and is vice-Chairman of Legislative Council Committee. Senator Stedman is also the recent past-Chairman of The Energy Council, after being elected to that position in 2012 and serving until November 2013. He served for several years as an active member of the Energy Council's Executive Committee. He was appointed in 2014 to a two year term by the United States Secretary of Energy, Dr. Ernest Moniz to serve on the National Petroleum Council.
The Senator resides in Sitka with his wife Lureen. His daughter Susie attends the University of Montana.
Legislation more >
Urging the United States Congress to amend the Marine Mammal Protection Act to permit Alaska Native organizations and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to co-manage, take, and study sea otters...
SJR 9 proposes to place a constitutional amendment on the general election ballot which would specify how earnings of the fund would be allocated to dividend payments and general government services...
SB 21 (2017) would establish a percent of market value (POMV) approach that “guards and
grows” the Permanent Fund It guards the Permanent Fund from legislative appropriations in
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska