Representing Fairbanks & North Pole
Member News more >
Should the dividend be enshrined in the constitution? Not in my view. Should we elevate the right to a cash payment from our sovereign wealth to the same level as freedom of speech or the right to keep and bear arms? I think that would be a huge mistake.
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority today expressed disappointment with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision in Sturgeon v. Masica, a case centered on Alaskans’ right to manage their navigable waterways.
JUNEAU – The Alaska State Senate unanimously passed a bill today that provides for medical insurance coverage for surviving dependents of peace officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty.
The bill reduces spending on things that the research shows don’t reduce crime, and reinvests $85 million of those savings over the next six years into things that are proven to reduce crime.
District B, Republican
Date/Place of Birth
- August 15, 1950, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Nenana: 1950 – 1975
- Fairbanks: 1975 – present
- Wife – Luann
- Children – Shaun (John), Joshua, Jayme
- Grandchildren – Alexander, Grace, Joshua, Kinley, Creed, Elliot, and Leighton
- Nenana Public School: 1955 – 1968, High School Diploma
- 5 years service
- U.S. Air Force, S.Sgt
- Alaska State House of Representatives:Majority Leader: 2003 – 2006
- Chair, House Rules Committee: 2007 – 2009
- Chair, House State Affairs Committee: 2001 – 2002
- Co-Chair, Joint Armed Services Committee Member: 2005 – 2006
- Co-Chair, Health, Education & Social Services Committee: 1999 – 2000
- Vice-Chair, Special Committee on Military & Veterans’ Affairs: 1999 – 2000
- AK Information Infrastructure Task Force: 2005 – 2006
- House Judiciary Committee: 2001 – 2009
- Legislative Council Joint Committee: 2003 – 2009
- Local Government Advisory Commission: 2005 – 2006
- Rules Committee: 2003 – present
- State Affairs Committee: 2003 – 2004
- Special Committee on Economic evelopment, International Trade, and Tourism: 2005 – 2006
- Special Committee on Education: 2003
- Special Committee on Fisheries: 2001 – 2002
- Health, Education & Social Services Committee: 2001 – 2004
- Finance Subcommittees:
- Governor: 2003 – 2006
- Health & Social Services: 2001 – 2006
- Legislature: 2003 – 2006
- Natural Resources: 1999 – 2006
- Education & Early Development: 2001 – 2002
- Education: 1999 – 2000
- Military & Veterans’ Affairs: 1999 – 2000
- Alaska State Senate: Majority Leader 2013 to 2017
- Minority Leader 2012
- Vice-Chair Senate Rules 2013 to 2017
- Senate Judiciary Committee member: 2010 to 2015, Chair 2015 to present
- Senate Resources Committee member: 2010 to present, Vice Chair 2017 to present
- Senate Education Committee member: 2017 to present
- Senate State Affairs Committee member: 2013 to present
- Senate Member of Select Committee on Legislative Ethics – 2010 to 2012, 2017 to present
Other Political and Government Positions
- District 18 Republican Party of Alaska, Former Chair
- District 32 Republican Party of Alaska, Former Chair
- Delegate, Republican National Convention: 1996.
Business and Professional Positions
- Small Business Owner
- Private School Teacher
- Pastor’s Assistant
- Concrete Cutter
- Family activities
I am a third-generation Alaskan. I was born in Fairbanks and raised in Nenana. During my first semester at UAF, I received my draft notice and enlisted in the Air Force. After I served five years in the Air Force, I went back home and worked with Dad at Nenana Fuel Co. After I met my wife Luann, we married and moved to Fairbanks. Together, we built our log cabin and raised our children. We are both very active in our faith. Through our church, I have served in jail ministries, worked as a biblical family counselor, taught adult classes to strengthen families, and served as the Pastor’s Administrative Assistant. I am a Constitutionalist and a Conservative Republican.
Legislation more >
A military facility zone is a vehicle to obtain and administer funds for business development related to military activities The zone is established by the Department of Military and Veterans’ Affairs (DMVA) in...
Senate Bill 48 provides for medical insurance coverage for eligible surviving dependents of a police officer or firefighter killed in the line of duty
The bill establishes a fund to be administered by the...
Senate Bill 54 makes substantive revisions to the criminal justice reform package passed by the legislature in 2016, pursuant to recommendations made by the Alaska Criminal Justice Commission The three major areas to...
SB 86 repeals the current requirement for legislative approval prior to an Alaska Railroad Corporation (ARRC) land sale or land lease for more than 95 years and enables the ARRC to react much more quickly and efficiently...
As the current budget deficit limits the State’s ability to invest in economic development initiatives, municipalities will need to rely more on their own means to facilitate those projects This legislation would...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok & Copper Center
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point, Tanana & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska