News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: February 09, 2018
Senate Proclaims 2019 as Year of Innovation
JUNEAU – The Alaska State Senate today unanimously approved a resolution proclaiming 2019 as the Year of Innovation in Alaska.
“Alaskans are innovators by necessity, with Native peoples, pioneers, explorers, miners, fishermen, builders, soldiers, scientists, loggers, engineers, teachers, law enforcement personnel, oil field workers, entrepreneurs, students, artists, and all hard-working Alaskans responding to the state's geography and climate with forward-thinking solutions,” said Sen. Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) the resolution’s sponsor. “This resolution if passed by the House will result in innumerable opportunities to spur innovation and grow Alaska’s economy.”
The National Bureau of Economic Research reported that net job creation is driven by startups, which create an average of three million jobs annually. Alaska’s current fiscal climate calls for innovative solutions, as seen in the work of many legislative committees and formation of a bipartisan, bicameral Innovation Caucus.
Collaboration between regional and statewide economic development groups, universities, investors, businesses and entrepreneurs has helped create an innovation community in Alaska. Aligning stakeholders around collective action helps engage the next generation of Alaskan entrepreneurs. Events such as the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Arctic Innovation Competition, the Innovation Summit, Alaska Startup Week, and the Launch create an ecosystem for innovation and help bring new ideas to market.
SCR 10 is now on its way to the Alaska House of Representatives for consideration.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Senate Majority today announced its complete team for the 31st Alaska Legislature, which begins Jan. 15.
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today formed a new majority organization including all 13 Republican senators.
FAIRBANKS – Today, a bill restoring access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor became law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska