News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: March 22, 2017
Legislators Create Alaska Innovation Caucus
Leaders from all parties come together for Alaska’s future economy
JUNEAU – Recognizing the importance of ingenuity and creativity in building a strong economy, members of the Alaska State Legislature have formed a caucus centered on moving Alaska’s economy forward through innovation. The Alaska Innovation Caucus (AKIC) will foster a culture of entrepreneurship and support small business development across our state.
“Innovation is at the heart of economic development,” said Senator Mia Costello, co-chair. “Prioritizing entrepreneurism and adopting smart new strategies can open Alaska to new industries and possibilities.”
Research by the National Bureau of Economic Research shows that net job creation is driven by business start-ups. Innovation is a central driver of high-growth startups, allowing companies to form around new products and services. The caucus will research and discuss policy options including:
- Encourage growth of globally competitive startups and greater access to venture capital
- Simplify, and help startups navigate, regulatory frameworks within the state
- Support development of startup mentorship networks
- Support entrepreneurship in schools and universities, including encouraging technology transfer and commercialization
“It’s far past time innovation work for equity as well as equality,” said Representative Fansler, co-chair. “In commerce, transportation, and communication we can harness technology’s potential to nurture a new frontier of businesses and change the face of Alaska’s economy.”
The bipartisan, bicameral caucus includes:
Senator Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) Co-Chair
Rep. Zach Fansler (D-Bethel) Co-Chair
Sen. Shelley Hughes (R-Palmer)
Sen. Berta Gardner (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Bill Wielechowski (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Tom Begich (D-Anchorage)
Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux (R-Anchorage)
Rep. Chris Tuck (D-Anchorage)
Rep. David Guttenberg (D-Fairbanks)
Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins (D-Sitka)
Rep. Jason Grenn (I-Anchorage)
Rep. Justin Parish (D-Juneau)
Rep. Jennifer Johnston (R-Anchorage)
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Senate Majority today announced its complete team for the 31st Alaska Legislature, which begins Jan. 15.
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today formed a new majority organization including all 13 Republican senators.
FAIRBANKS – Today, a bill restoring access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor became law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska