News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: July 28, 2017
Bill Ending Cash Payments to Oil & Gas Companies Becomes Law
JUNEAU – Today, Gov. Bill Walker signed House Bill 111 into law, legislation that ends the state's program of cash payments to companies in the oil and gas industry. In response, Sen. Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, chair of the Senate Resources Committee and co-chair for the Conference Committee on House Bill 111, issued the following statement.
“The bill signed into law today will affect Alaska families, Alaska businesses and Alaska jobs. The cash credit program over the last ten years brought investment money to our state, gas into our homes and businesses, and optimism thanks to the new discoveries on the North Slope. And the credits brought thousands of jobs for Alaskans. Jobs supporting Alaskan families, jobs supporting Alaskan businesses, and jobs that strengthened our Alaskan towns and villages. We cannot afford the cash credit program anymore, and we have to be honest going forward. However, we owe it to the thousands of Alaskan families and businesses to continue to work toward economic development, family-supporting jobs and prosperity. I want every Alaska-born child to have the opportunity to grow up in this wonderful state, every parent to be able to work and support their family here, and every Alaska business to be prosperous.”
The final version of House Bill 111 was the result of lengthy negotiations between the House and Senate Conference Committee members, and passed the Senate unanimously and the House by a vote of 33-6.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Senate Majority today announced its complete team for the 31st Alaska Legislature, which begins Jan. 15.
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today formed a new majority organization including all 13 Republican senators.
FAIRBANKS – Today, a bill restoring access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor became law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska