News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Hoffman
For Immediate Release: March 16, 2018
Fast-Track Supplemental Budget Passes Senate
JUNEAU – Today, the Alaska Senate passed a “fast-track” supplemental budget totaling $110.2 million in funding for urgent and unanticipated state expenses.
“The fast-track supplemental budget is a good-faith effort between the House and Senate to fund the items we broadly agree on,” said Sen. Lyman Hoffman (D-Bethel) co-chair of the Senate Finance Committee. “As we continue progress toward solving the state’s fiscal problem, it’s important to pay our bills.”
The supplemental budget includes $45 million to fund Medicaid through mid-May, $30 million for Community Assistance, $18.3 million to pay for an unanticipated increase in the prison population and growing inmate healthcare costs, and $24 million for the Alaska Marine Highway System.
The bill also deposits an additional $25 million into savings realized from the state’s successful re-insurance program, and $5 million was appropriated to the Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation to cover fees related to higher than expected fund earnings.
Of the $110.2 million appropriated in HB 321, $91.9 are Unrestricted General Funds (UGF), $5.1 are Designated General Funds (DGF), and $13.1 are Other Funds.
HB 321 passed the Senate by a vote of 16 to 1.
The bill is now on its way to the governor’s desk to be signed into law.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
ANCHORAGE – Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) today announced he will serve on the National Petroleum Council (NPC) following his appointment to the board by the Secretary of the Department...
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today adjourned the second session of the 30th Alaska Legislature, sine die.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill to restore access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed legislation providing students across Alaska access to the best curriculum in the world.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today took another step toward clean and affordable natural gas in Fairbanks and North Pole with the passage of legislation extending the bonding...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today concurred with the final version of the state operating budget for Fiscal Year 2019, totaling $3.1 billion in unrestricted general funds (UGF) for...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today approved a program to resolve nearly $1 billion owed to small oil and gas companies and reinvigorate work in the state’s oil patch....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska