News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Kelly
For Immediate Release: February 21, 2018
Senate Keeps Forward Progress on Delivering Natural Gas to Interior
JUNEAU – Fairbanks and North Pole took another step toward expanding access to clean and affordable natural gas today with the unanimous passage of SB 125 from the Alaska State Senate. SB 125 extends the bonding authorization for the Interior Energy Project (IEP), a critical financing component of the project.
“Fairbanks is a great community, but it's taken us a long time to crack the code of high energy prices,” said Senate President Pete Kelly (R-Fairbanks) the bill’s sponsor.
The IEP was created in 2013 through the passage of SB 23, and is a joint project between the Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority (AIDEA) and the Interior Gas Utility (IGU). It includes the liquefaction, transport, storage, regasification, and distribution of natural gas in the Interior. Among its financing package, SB 23 included $150 million in bonding authorization that is set to expire in June of this year. Though none of the bonding authorization has been used, the IEP team plans to deploy it to increase capacity of the LNG facility at Point MacKenzie and expand the gas distribution network to the more outlying areas of the community.
This past month, construction began on a 5.2 million-gallon large-scale LNG storage facility in South Fairbanks, which will support future customer growth of the combined utility system. First expanded gas availability is expected in late 2019 with full scale efforts to convert properties with access to the existing distribution system to gas the following year.
SB 125 is now on its way to the Alaska House of Representatives for consideration.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
ANCHORAGE – Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) today announced he will serve on the National Petroleum Council (NPC) following his appointment to the board by the Secretary of the Department...
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska