News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Kelly
For Immediate Release: December 13, 2016
Guiding Principles of Incoming Senate President Pete Kelly
As your incoming senate president, I'm asked often what our majority caucus priorities will be in these challenging times. Our Senate Majority will get together and define those priorities as a team in the next few weeks, incorporating the viewpoints of 15 senators from all regions, walks of life, and political persuasions.
While we work on those priorities, I wanted to share my guiding principles, which I know many of my senate colleagues share.
- Government should be limited and people should be free. This naturally sets up tension between the freedom of the individual and the role of government. When the two conflict, we should default to the freedom of people whenever possible.
- Public employment and private employment are both extremely important. However, private employment is the higher priority.
- Government does not produce wealth; that is the role of the private sector. Therefore, efforts to address the fiscal crisis in Alaska should be directed, as much as possible, to those areas of government that enhance and facilitate the private economy.
- Those areas of government that are hardwired to grow automatically, must be put in check. Wherever possible, we must restructure government funding so that it remains accountable to Alaskans. Therefore, no government function or agency will be immune from budgetary scrutiny.
- While Alaska justly requires its fair share of our oil and gas wealth, the goal of any changes to our oil and gas tax system needs to be more production.
News & Videos more >
FAIRBANKS – Today, a bill restoring access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor became law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
ANCHORAGE – Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) today announced he will serve on the National Petroleum Council (NPC) following his appointment to the board by the Secretary of the Department...
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska