News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Kelly
For Immediate Release: December 13, 2016
Guiding Principles of Incoming Senate President Pete Kelly
As your incoming senate president, I'm asked often what our majority caucus priorities will be in these challenging times. Our Senate Majority will get together and define those priorities as a team in the next few weeks, incorporating the viewpoints of 15 senators from all regions, walks of life, and political persuasions.
While we work on those priorities, I wanted to share my guiding principles, which I know many of my senate colleagues share.
- Government should be limited and people should be free. This naturally sets up tension between the freedom of the individual and the role of government. When the two conflict, we should default to the freedom of people whenever possible.
- Public employment and private employment are both extremely important. However, private employment is the higher priority.
- Government does not produce wealth; that is the role of the private sector. Therefore, efforts to address the fiscal crisis in Alaska should be directed, as much as possible, to those areas of government that enhance and facilitate the private economy.
- Those areas of government that are hardwired to grow automatically, must be put in check. Wherever possible, we must restructure government funding so that it remains accountable to Alaskans. Therefore, no government function or agency will be immune from budgetary scrutiny.
- While Alaska justly requires its fair share of our oil and gas wealth, the goal of any changes to our oil and gas tax system needs to be more production.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today adjourned the second session of the 30th Alaska Legislature, sine die.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill to restore access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed legislation providing students across Alaska access to the best curriculum in the world.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today took another step toward clean and affordable natural gas in Fairbanks and North Pole with the passage of legislation extending the bonding...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today concurred with the final version of the state operating budget for Fiscal Year 2019, totaling $3.1 billion in unrestricted general funds (UGF) for...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today approved a program to resolve nearly $1 billion owed to small oil and gas companies and reinvigorate work in the state’s oil patch....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week passed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week provided Alaskans with disabilities greater flexibility to receive those services best suited for their needs instead of standard service...
The Alaska Senate today passed a wide-ranging crime package that provides judges and law enforcement with the tools they need to effectively fight crime.
JUNEAU – Today, Sen. Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna), Majority Leader of the Alaska Senate, withdrew his request for a House Finance Committee hearing on SB 76 following the adoption of an...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska