News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Meyer
For Immediate Release: April 13, 2018
Legislature Proclaims April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today approved a resolution proclaiming April 2018 as Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
SCR 17, sponsored by Sen. Kevin Meyer (R-Anchorage), encourages Alaskans to observe Sexual Assault Awareness Month by acting to prevent sexual violence.
“I am glad legislators in the House and Senate this year came together to support this important resolution,” said Sen. Meyer. “I sponsor it every year to bring attention to the problem of sexual violence in Alaska. Everyone deserves a life free of fear and violence.”
One-third of adult women in Alaska have experienced sexual violence, and roughly half have experienced intimate partner violence, sexual violence or both, according to a 2015 Alaska Victimization Survey.
“Despite tremendous progress, Alaska still has the highest rates of sexual violence in the nation,” said Sen. Meyer. “This resolution encourages Alaskans to acknowledge and speak out against sexual assault, as we join in unity to dispel the fear, self-blame, depression and anxiety often suffered by those who have endured terrible experiences.”
SCR 17 recognizes Alaska’s volunteers, staff and agencies working to end sexual assault. In 2016 alone, over 3,100 volunteers devoted 48,483 hours of service in Alaska.
The resolution passed the Legislature by a combined vote of 53 to 1.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today adjourned the second session of the 30th Alaska Legislature, sine die.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill to restore access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed legislation providing students across Alaska access to the best curriculum in the world.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today took another step toward clean and affordable natural gas in Fairbanks and North Pole with the passage of legislation extending the bonding...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today concurred with the final version of the state operating budget for Fiscal Year 2019, totaling $3.1 billion in unrestricted general funds (UGF) for...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today approved a program to resolve nearly $1 billion owed to small oil and gas companies and reinvigorate work in the state’s oil patch....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week passed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week provided Alaskans with disabilities greater flexibility to receive those services best suited for their needs instead of standard service...
The Alaska Senate today passed a wide-ranging crime package that provides judges and law enforcement with the tools they need to effectively fight crime.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska