News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Micciche
For Immediate Release: November 10, 2017
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
JUNEAU - Today, by a vote of 11 to 8, the Alaska Senate concurred with the House changes to Senate Bill 54. SB54 toughens Alaska criminal laws reversing some provisions of Senate Bill 91 passed in 2016.
"We got the message loud and clear." said Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna). "Alaskans deserve to feel safe. Senate Bill 54 delivers the tools our police and prosecutors say will help them get the job done."
Senate Bill 54 increases jail time for theft from minor shoplifting to car theft, allows offenders to be jailed for violating conditions of their pre-trial release, aggressively fights drug related crime and increases incarceration for assaults against uniformed first responders, like police officers, paramedics and firefighters.
"My community has been hit hard by increasing crime over the last couple of years" said Senator Anna MacKinnon (R-Eagle River). "I believe SB54 goes a long way to fighting back with the tougher sentences and better protections for both citizens and businesses."
"Alaskans are tired of feeling unsafe as the list of victims grows longer. I am proud to stand with them today by supporting Senate Bill 54." said Senator Micciche. "There must be real consequences for those who refuse to respect the law. While there is no silver bullet to prevent all victimization, what we can do we must do. "
For more information, please contact Daniel McDonald in the Senate Majority Press Office at (907) 269-0147.
News & Videos more >
FAIRBANKS – Today, a bill restoring access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor became law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
ANCHORAGE – Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) today announced he will serve on the National Petroleum Council (NPC) following his appointment to the board by the Secretary of the Department...
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska