News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Micciche
For Immediate Release: November 10, 2017
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
JUNEAU - Today, by a vote of 11 to 8, the Alaska Senate concurred with the House changes to Senate Bill 54. SB54 toughens Alaska criminal laws reversing some provisions of Senate Bill 91 passed in 2016.
"We got the message loud and clear." said Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna). "Alaskans deserve to feel safe. Senate Bill 54 delivers the tools our police and prosecutors say will help them get the job done."
Senate Bill 54 increases jail time for theft from minor shoplifting to car theft, allows offenders to be jailed for violating conditions of their pre-trial release, aggressively fights drug related crime and increases incarceration for assaults against uniformed first responders, like police officers, paramedics and firefighters.
"My community has been hit hard by increasing crime over the last couple of years" said Senator Anna MacKinnon (R-Eagle River). "I believe SB54 goes a long way to fighting back with the tougher sentences and better protections for both citizens and businesses."
"Alaskans are tired of feeling unsafe as the list of victims grows longer. I am proud to stand with them today by supporting Senate Bill 54." said Senator Micciche. "There must be real consequences for those who refuse to respect the law. While there is no silver bullet to prevent all victimization, what we can do we must do. "
For more information, please contact Daniel McDonald in the Senate Majority Press Office at (907) 269-0147.
News & Videos more >
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today adjourned the second session of the 30th Alaska Legislature, sine die.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill to restore access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed legislation providing students across Alaska access to the best curriculum in the world.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today took another step toward clean and affordable natural gas in Fairbanks and North Pole with the passage of legislation extending the bonding...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today concurred with the final version of the state operating budget for Fiscal Year 2019, totaling $3.1 billion in unrestricted general funds (UGF) for...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today approved a program to resolve nearly $1 billion owed to small oil and gas companies and reinvigorate work in the state’s oil patch....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week passed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week provided Alaskans with disabilities greater flexibility to receive those services best suited for their needs instead of standard service...
The Alaska Senate today passed a wide-ranging crime package that provides judges and law enforcement with the tools they need to effectively fight crime.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska