News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Stedman
For Immediate Release: July 17, 2018
Sen. Stedman Sends Criminal Referral for Leak of Confidential Audit
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a confidential audit related to the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority. The audit was given to a reporter before the auditor had briefed the full committee, and before the committee had the chance to review, adopt and approve the audit to make it a public document.
“The legislative audit process and the work of the legislative auditor are critical to the legislature’s oversight role of the executive branch and boards and commissions,” said Sen. Stedman. “The confidentiality of audits still in progress must be maintained. I have asked the Department of Law to review the release of a confidential audit and decide whether prosecution is appropriate.”
Click here to view Sen. Stedman’s letter to the Department of Law.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 269-0147.
News & Videos more >
FAIRBANKS – Today, a bill restoring access rights to private homesteaded property owners in the James Dalton Highway corridor became law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill designating September 11 of each year as Patriot Day was signed into law.
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Today the Alaska Supreme Court ruled that major portions of Ballot Measure #1 may appear on November’s general election ballot, despite striking down other un-constitutional...
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill to increase Alaskans’ access to affordable behavioral healthcare and save state dollars was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – Today, a bill ensuring that companies in the business of helping Alaskans appraise real estate can continue to operate was signed into law.
ANCHORAGE – A bill to protect Alaskans from the adverse health effects of secondhand smoke in the workplace was signed into law this week by Gov. Bill Walker....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka), chairman of the Legislative Budget & Audit Committee, sent the Department of Law a criminal referral for the unauthorized leak of a...
ANCHORAGE – Sen. Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) today announced he will serve on the National Petroleum Council (NPC) following his appointment to the board by the Secretary of the Department...
ANCHORAGE – A bill to reduce the state’s regulatory burden on barbers, hairdressers, hair braiders and those with student loans was signed into law today by Gov. Bill Walker....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska