Investing in Our Next Generation
Educate and Train Alaskans for the Future of Our State
No one questions that education is a smart investment for the future of each student and our state as a whole. Our members hold a diverse portfolio of convictions on the best course to chart for Alaska's educational future.
As the Senate Majority we focus on accountability and standards, making sure that Alaska's educational dollars are being used to the greatest effect in the classroom.
We promote opportunity and choice for Alaska's parents and students – empowering students to pursue learning in different ways, whether in traditional classroom settings or in a charter school environment.
Since 2015, the State of Alaska has been challenged by a devastating drop in revenue. While cutting some departments by more than 30%, education funding has been held harmless. In an environment of scarce resources, the Senate Majority's focus has been finding revenue neutral ways to encourage excellence in education.
Senate Bills Focused on improving Education
- Post-Secondary Student Loans, SJR 2 >
- Protecting Parental Rights, SB 89 >
- Accountability for Department of Education, SB 80 >
- Protecting Student Data, SB 3 >
- Establishing a Task Force for Civics Education, SCR 1 >
- Establishing Alaska School Choice Week, SCR 3 >
- Reemployment of Retired Teachers, SB 79 >
- Unfunded Mandates to Schools, SB 102 >
Featured Videos more >
News more >
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed legislation providing students across Alaska access to the best curriculum in the world.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week passed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
JUNEAU – Today, a bill to early fund education was signed into law by Gov. Bill Walker.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill to help school districts save money by removing a roadblock in the way of school consolidation.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed a bill to boost the minimum Internet speed for Alaska’s K-12 students, expanding access to virtual education across the state....
JUNEAU – In the midst of declining test scores and school enrollment, rising healthcare costs, and struggles with teacher retention and morale, the Alaska Senate today advanced a...
JUNEAU – Members of the Senate Finance Committee today moved forward on a plan to early fund education.
JUNEAU – By a vote of 19-1, the Alaska State Senate today approved Senate Bill 78, a bill that would allow Alaskans to voluntarily sign-up for a raffle to fund education – and possibly win...
JUNEAU – A trio of bills introduced in the Alaska State Senate today would improve educational outcomes for students by establishing innovation grants, boosting broadband capacity,...
JUNEAU – Sen. Click Bishop (R-Fairbanks) introduced a bill today that would allow Alaskans to voluntarily sign up for a lottery to fund education – and possibly win big money – when...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska