Representing Fairbanks & North Pole
Member News more >
JUNEAU – In response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Alaska Legislature early this morning passed a bill extending Governor Mike Dunleavy’s public health disaster emergency declaration to November and providing economic relief to Alaskans....
JUNEAU – Senator John Coghill, R-North Pole, today sent a letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator, Andrew Wheeler, requesting additional financial assistance through the Targeted Airshed Grant Program to help the Fairbanks North Star Borough improve air quality....
Should the dividend be enshrined in the constitution? Not in my view. Should we elevate the right to a cash payment from our sovereign wealth to the same level as freedom of speech or the right to keep and bear arms? I think that would be a huge mistake.
The bill reduces spending on things that the research shows don’t reduce crime, and reinvests $85 million of those savings over the next six years into things that are proven to reduce crime.
District B, Republican
Date/Place of Birth
- August 15, 1950, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Nenana: 1950 – 1975
- Fairbanks: 1975 – present
- Wife – Luann
- Children – Shaun (John), Joshua, Jayme
- Grandchildren – Alexander, Grace, Joshua, Kinley, Creed, Elliot, and Leighton
- Nenana Public School: 1955 – 1968, High School Diploma
- 5 years service
- U.S. Air Force, S.Sgt
- Alaska State House of Representatives:Majority Leader: 2003 – 2006
- Chair, House Rules Committee: 2007 – 2009
- Chair, House State Affairs Committee: 2001 – 2002
- Co-Chair, Joint Armed Services Committee Member: 2005 – 2006
- Co-Chair, Health, Education & Social Services Committee: 1999 – 2000
- Vice-Chair, Special Committee on Military & Veterans’ Affairs: 1999 – 2000
- AK Information Infrastructure Task Force: 2005 – 2006
- House Judiciary Committee: 2001 – 2009
- Legislative Council Joint Committee: 2003 – 2009
- Local Government Advisory Commission: 2005 – 2006
- Rules Committee: 2003 – present
- State Affairs Committee: 2003 – 2004
- Special Committee on Economic evelopment, International Trade, and Tourism: 2005 – 2006
- Special Committee on Education: 2003
- Special Committee on Fisheries: 2001 – 2002
- Health, Education & Social Services Committee: 2001 – 2004
- Finance Subcommittees:
- Governor: 2003 – 2006
- Health & Social Services: 2001 – 2006
- Legislature: 2003 – 2006
- Natural Resources: 1999 – 2006
- Education & Early Development: 2001 – 2002
- Education: 1999 – 2000
- Military & Veterans’ Affairs: 1999 – 2000
- Alaska State Senate: Majority Leader 2013 to 2017
- Minority Leader 2012
- Vice-Chair Senate Rules 2013 to 2017
- Senate Judiciary Committee member: 2010 to 2015, Chair 2015 to present
- Senate Resources Committee member: 2010 to present, Vice Chair 2017 to present
- Senate Education Committee member: 2017 to present
- Senate State Affairs Committee member: 2013 to present
- Senate Member of Select Committee on Legislative Ethics – 2010 to 2012, 2017 to present
Other Political and Government Positions
- District 18 Republican Party of Alaska, Former Chair
- District 32 Republican Party of Alaska, Former Chair
- Delegate, Republican National Convention: 1996.
Business and Professional Positions
- Small Business Owner
- Private School Teacher
- Pastor’s Assistant
- Concrete Cutter
- Family activities
I am a third-generation Alaskan. I was born in Fairbanks and raised in Nenana. During my first semester at UAF, I received my draft notice and enlisted in the Air Force. After I served five years in the Air Force, I went back home and worked with Dad at Nenana Fuel Co. After I met my wife Luann, we married and moved to Fairbanks. Together, we built our log cabin and raised our children. We are both very active in our faith. Through our church, I have served in jail ministries, worked as a biblical family counselor, taught adult classes to strengthen families, and served as the Pastor’s Administrative Assistant. I am a Constitutionalist and a Conservative Republican.
Legislation more >
Senate Bill 193 makes clear in statute that a utility offering electrical service to the public may not be held liable for property damage, death, or personal injury resulting from contact between vegetation and the...
Senate Bill 218 provides second class boroughs with the ability to consolidate two or more road service areas (RSAs) if the boards representing those RSAs request consolidation and no new parcels are added to the single...
This bill adds a provision to AS 47 17 030, Action on reports; termination of parental rights, which requires the Office of Children’s Services (OCS) to notify a designated authority at a duty station of an active...
Senate Bill 191 sets out to clarify existing language within Alaska statutes regarding trust
legislation and add a new opportunity to investors to take advantage of historically high estate and gift
In late March of this year the ARR, City of Whittier and Whittier Manor Condominium Association entered into a purchase agreement SB 95 gives the ARR the nod to sell the property as required by AS 42 40 285...
The bill does not rescind the Board of Game’s authority to make wildlife allocation decisions, but it does require the Board of Game, through a permit system, to limit the harvest of big game by nonresidents...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska