News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Coghill
For Immediate Release: April 12, 2017
Legislature Helps Spur Economic Growth in Military Communities
JUNEAU – The Alaska State Legislature unanimously passed a bill today that will spur economic growth around Alaska’s military communities.
Senate Bill 9, sponsored by Sen. John Coghill (R-North Pole), makes it easier for local communities near military installations to apply to become military facility zones. The zone provides financial benefits to businesses that support the military’s mission.
The bill reduces the time it takes for a borough or municipality to qualify as a military facility zone from the Department of Military of Veterans’ Affairs (DMVA), by allowing them to qualify through a local zoning ordinance, instead of a time-consuming, expensive comprehensive plan.
“SB 9 will provide another useful tool for the community to assist with the underlying military mission and promote economic activity around Alaska,” said Sen. Coghill. “Passage from both bodies is a good, positive step, and I’m thankful for the supportive legislators and members of the communities around Alaska that assisted this legislation. A special thanks to Representative Thompson for his work on the bill, and his continued good work on this issue through the years.”
SB 9 has been transmitted to the governor and awaits his signature to be signed into law.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously voted for a resolution urging the U.S. to issue a presidential permit allowing a railroad crossing between Alaska and Canada....
The numbers are in for the 2019 Alaska Permanent Fund Education Raffle. The program, in its first year, raised a grand total of $976,400, with 85 percent of the proceeds directly benefiting...
The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed Senate Bill 16 to clarify irregularities detrimental to small businesses in the state’s alcohol license laws.
JUNEAU – The Senate Finance Committee today introduced a pair of bills to cap government spending and establish a 50-50 split between dividends and state expenses from the limited...
Leaders from all parties come together for Alaska’s future economy
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously approved a measure that improves statewide access to vaccines and reduces healthcare costs for providers and insurance payers....
JUNEAU – Today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in favor of John Sturgeon, finding that the Nation River is state, not federal, land, and is therefore navigable inside of Alaska’s...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously approved funding to aid communities impacted by the Nov. 30 Southcentral earthquake.
JUNEAU – A bill was introduced in the Alaska Senate this week to give Alaskans the option of donating all or a portion of their Permanent Fund dividends (PFDs) directly to the state’s...
JUNEAU – Today, a bill was introduced in the Alaska Senate to repeal provisions of a new law found to be too restrictive of Alaska’s citizen legislature.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska