News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: February 09, 2018
Senate Proclaims 2019 as Year of Innovation
JUNEAU – The Alaska State Senate today unanimously approved a resolution proclaiming 2019 as the Year of Innovation in Alaska.
“Alaskans are innovators by necessity, with Native peoples, pioneers, explorers, miners, fishermen, builders, soldiers, scientists, loggers, engineers, teachers, law enforcement personnel, oil field workers, entrepreneurs, students, artists, and all hard-working Alaskans responding to the state's geography and climate with forward-thinking solutions,” said Sen. Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) the resolution’s sponsor. “This resolution if passed by the House will result in innumerable opportunities to spur innovation and grow Alaska’s economy.”
The National Bureau of Economic Research reported that net job creation is driven by startups, which create an average of three million jobs annually. Alaska’s current fiscal climate calls for innovative solutions, as seen in the work of many legislative committees and formation of a bipartisan, bicameral Innovation Caucus.
Collaboration between regional and statewide economic development groups, universities, investors, businesses and entrepreneurs has helped create an innovation community in Alaska. Aligning stakeholders around collective action helps engage the next generation of Alaskan entrepreneurs. Events such as the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Arctic Innovation Competition, the Innovation Summit, Alaska Startup Week, and the Launch create an ecosystem for innovation and help bring new ideas to market.
SCR 10 is now on its way to the Alaska House of Representatives for consideration.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced it is seeking public comment on a draft environmental impact statement offering alternatives to roadless management and a...
WASILLA – Sen. David Wilson, R-Wasilla, Chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, welcomed the approval Tuesday of the state’s behavioral health portion of its...
ANCHORAGE – BP today announced that it has agreed to sell its entire business in Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska.
JUNEAU – Anchorage Senator Chris Birch passed away on Wednesday. He was 68 years old.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today voted to restore funding for programs critical to Alaskans and provide for a sustainable Permanent Fund dividend amount.
Today, Governor Mike Dunleavy amended his call for the Second Special Session to include the unfinished capital budget appropriations bill and to change the session location from...
This week, the clock ran out on the Alaska Legislature's constitutional opportunity to reject Gov. Mike Dunleavy's $444 million in budget vetoes through an override vote supported by...
Joint floor session scheduled for 11:30a.m. in the Alaska State Capitol
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement on Governor Mike Dunleavy’s announced vetoes to the state’s operating budget....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature announced today it will convene in Juneau on July 8th for the 2nd special session, with the majority of meetings to be held in Anchorage....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska