News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: February 09, 2018
Senate Proclaims 2019 as Year of Innovation
JUNEAU – The Alaska State Senate today unanimously approved a resolution proclaiming 2019 as the Year of Innovation in Alaska.
“Alaskans are innovators by necessity, with Native peoples, pioneers, explorers, miners, fishermen, builders, soldiers, scientists, loggers, engineers, teachers, law enforcement personnel, oil field workers, entrepreneurs, students, artists, and all hard-working Alaskans responding to the state's geography and climate with forward-thinking solutions,” said Sen. Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) the resolution’s sponsor. “This resolution if passed by the House will result in innumerable opportunities to spur innovation and grow Alaska’s economy.”
The National Bureau of Economic Research reported that net job creation is driven by startups, which create an average of three million jobs annually. Alaska’s current fiscal climate calls for innovative solutions, as seen in the work of many legislative committees and formation of a bipartisan, bicameral Innovation Caucus.
Collaboration between regional and statewide economic development groups, universities, investors, businesses and entrepreneurs has helped create an innovation community in Alaska. Aligning stakeholders around collective action helps engage the next generation of Alaskan entrepreneurs. Events such as the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Arctic Innovation Competition, the Innovation Summit, Alaska Startup Week, and the Launch create an ecosystem for innovation and help bring new ideas to market.
SCR 10 is now on its way to the Alaska House of Representatives for consideration.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – John Bruce “Jack” Coghill passed away this morning at the age of 93 of natural causes.
JUNEAU – Today, the co-chairs of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) and Senator Natasha von Imhof (R-Anchorage), commented on Governor Michael J....
With many in Juneau anticipating budget cuts Wednesday from the governor, a legislator has introduced a bill to establish a $30 education head tax to help raise money for school...
JUNEAU –Today, Senator David Wilson (R-Wasilla), chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, released the following statement in response to the Dunleavy...
JUNEAU – The 31st Alaska Legislature convened today, and with it a new 14-member Senate Majority laid out its vision for Alaska: A government that responsibly budgets, prioritizes...
JUNEAU — Today, Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna) filed Senate Bill 12 to eliminate the “Schneider Loopholes” in Alaska’s criminal code. The case of Justin Schneider, the man...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority today welcomed a significant step toward opening the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) for responsible resource...
ANCHORAGE – Today, co-chairs of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) and Senator Natasha von Imhof (R-Anchorage), commented on Governor Mike Dunleavy’s...
ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Senate Majority today announced its complete team for the 31st Alaska Legislature, which begins Jan. 15.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska