News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: March 06, 2019
Early Funding for Education Guaranteed under New Proposal
JUNEAU – Today, a constitutional amendment was introduced in the Alaska Senate to require early-funding for Alaska’s K-12 public education system.
Senate Joint Resolution 9, sponsored by Senator Mia Costello, R-Anchorage, requires the governor to submit a separate appropriation bill, alongside the operating budget, to fund K-12 public education. The legislature would then be required to approve the education funding bill by day 45 of each legislative session for the upcoming fiscal year.
“Education is one of the state’s core constitutional responsibilities,” said Sen. Costello. “This amendment will provide stability to Alaska’s education community by requiring legislators to act early. For too long, Alaska’s teachers and school administrators have been forced to operate under a cloud of uncertain funding when they should be free to focus on providing for a quality education for our students. It’s time we put our kids first.”
Under Article VII, Section I of the Alaska Constitution, the legislature must maintain a system of public schools open to all children. SJR 9 compliments this section by guaranteeing early-funding for Alaska’s public schools.
SJR 9 was referred to the Senate Education Committee, the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Finance Committee.
To be adopted, a constitutional amendment must be approved by two-thirds of each house of the legislature and by a majority of voters during the next general election.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – On Tuesday, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, congratulated the U.S. Coast Guard for its 230th year anniversary.
Senate President Cathy Giessel and Soldotna Senator Peter Micciche today issued the following statements after the tragic death of Soldotna Representative Gary Knopp....
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today appointed John Binkley to serve on the Redistricting Board
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority this week commended a decision by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to approve a proposed route for the Ambler Road project....
On Tuesday, the State of Alaska made one of the most important investments in its 61-year history: a roughly $5 billion transfer from the Alaska Permanent Fund’s Earnings Reserve...
JUNEAU – Sen. Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, applauded a rule today that fixed an issue for commercial fishermen who were unable to receive adequate funding under the Paycheck Protection...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today issued the following statements after hearing news of University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen’s resignation....
FAIRBANKS – On Sunday, June 7, Alaska will celebrate the first annual Walter Harper Day in recognition of the Athabascan-Irish man who, on June 7, 1913 became the first person to stand...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, this week urged the leadership of Alaska Department of Public Safety (DPS) to halt their plan that would centralize 911 response...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska