News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: March 06, 2019
Early Funding for Education Guaranteed under New Proposal
JUNEAU – Today, a constitutional amendment was introduced in the Alaska Senate to require early-funding for Alaska’s K-12 public education system.
Senate Joint Resolution 9, sponsored by Senator Mia Costello, R-Anchorage, requires the governor to submit a separate appropriation bill, alongside the operating budget, to fund K-12 public education. The legislature would then be required to approve the education funding bill by day 45 of each legislative session for the upcoming fiscal year.
“Education is one of the state’s core constitutional responsibilities,” said Sen. Costello. “This amendment will provide stability to Alaska’s education community by requiring legislators to act early. For too long, Alaska’s teachers and school administrators have been forced to operate under a cloud of uncertain funding when they should be free to focus on providing for a quality education for our students. It’s time we put our kids first.”
Under Article VII, Section I of the Alaska Constitution, the legislature must maintain a system of public schools open to all children. SJR 9 compliments this section by guaranteeing early-funding for Alaska’s public schools.
SJR 9 was referred to the Senate Education Committee, the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Finance Committee.
To be adopted, a constitutional amendment must be approved by two-thirds of each house of the legislature and by a majority of voters during the next general election.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
Today, Governor Mike Dunleavy amended his call for the Second Special Session to include the unfinished capital budget appropriations bill and to change the session location from...
This week, the clock ran out on the Alaska Legislature's constitutional opportunity to reject Gov. Mike Dunleavy's $444 million in budget vetoes through an override vote supported by...
Joint floor session scheduled for 11:30a.m. in the Alaska State Capitol
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement on Governor Mike Dunleavy’s announced vetoes to the state’s operating budget....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature announced today it will convene in Juneau on July 8th for the 2nd special session, with the majority of meetings to be held in Anchorage....
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement on the conclusion of the first special session of the 31st Alaska Legislature....
JUNEAU – With about three weeks remaining in the 2019 fiscal year, the Dunleavy administration this week distributed a one-time $20 million grant appropriated last year by the Alaska...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today voted unanimously for the smallest operating budget in 15 years, resulting in a $600 million surplus.
Budget also transfers more than $10 billion to Permanent Fund’s protected principal
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska