News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: March 22, 2017
Legislators Create Alaska Innovation Caucus
Leaders from all parties come together for Alaska’s future economy
JUNEAU – Recognizing the importance of ingenuity and creativity in building a strong economy, members of the Alaska State Legislature have formed a caucus centered on moving Alaska’s economy forward through innovation. The Alaska Innovation Caucus (AKIC) will foster a culture of entrepreneurship and support small business development across our state.
“Innovation is at the heart of economic development,” said Senator Mia Costello, co-chair. “Prioritizing entrepreneurism and adopting smart new strategies can open Alaska to new industries and possibilities.”
Research by the National Bureau of Economic Research shows that net job creation is driven by business start-ups. Innovation is a central driver of high-growth startups, allowing companies to form around new products and services. The caucus will research and discuss policy options including:
- Encourage growth of globally competitive startups and greater access to venture capital
- Simplify, and help startups navigate, regulatory frameworks within the state
- Support development of startup mentorship networks
- Support entrepreneurship in schools and universities, including encouraging technology transfer and commercialization
“It’s far past time innovation work for equity as well as equality,” said Representative Fansler, co-chair. “In commerce, transportation, and communication we can harness technology’s potential to nurture a new frontier of businesses and change the face of Alaska’s economy.”
The bipartisan, bicameral caucus includes:
Senator Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) Co-Chair
Rep. Zach Fansler (D-Bethel) Co-Chair
Sen. Shelley Hughes (R-Palmer)
Sen. Berta Gardner (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Bill Wielechowski (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Tom Begich (D-Anchorage)
Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux (R-Anchorage)
Rep. Chris Tuck (D-Anchorage)
Rep. David Guttenberg (D-Fairbanks)
Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins (D-Sitka)
Rep. Jason Grenn (I-Anchorage)
Rep. Justin Parish (D-Juneau)
Rep. Jennifer Johnston (R-Anchorage)
News & Videos more >
BETHEL – Today, the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Utility Service Program announced they are awarding a $25 million grant to GCI to build fiber optic broadband through...
Giving freely of his time SPC Garcia, organized supplies, volunteers and worked weekends to convert a retaining wall at 10th and Hyder from graffiti into a beautiful community treasure....
After a summer of record-setting rainfall, the Swan Lake Hydroelectric Facility reached full capacity following expansion totaling an additional 15 feet of storage for the first time....
ANCHORAGE – On Friday, August 28, at 3:00 p.m. in the Anchorage Legislative Information Office (LIO), the Senate Resources Committee will hold a hearing to take public testimony on and...
KETCHIKAN – Work will soon begin on a host of projects meant to enhance the movement of people and goods between Ketchikan and Gravina Island.
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement after the U.S. Department of Energy on Thursday authorized the Alaska LNG project to...
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement in response to the U.S. Department of the Interior’s decision approving an oil and...
JUNEAU – On Tuesday, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, congratulated the U.S. Coast Guard for its 230th year anniversary.
Senate President Cathy Giessel and Soldotna Senator Peter Micciche today issued the following statements after the tragic death of Soldotna Representative Gary Knopp....
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today appointed John Binkley to serve on the Redistricting Board
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska