News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: March 22, 2017
Legislators Create Alaska Innovation Caucus
Leaders from all parties come together for Alaska’s future economy
JUNEAU – Recognizing the importance of ingenuity and creativity in building a strong economy, members of the Alaska State Legislature have formed a caucus centered on moving Alaska’s economy forward through innovation. The Alaska Innovation Caucus (AKIC) will foster a culture of entrepreneurship and support small business development across our state.
“Innovation is at the heart of economic development,” said Senator Mia Costello, co-chair. “Prioritizing entrepreneurism and adopting smart new strategies can open Alaska to new industries and possibilities.”
Research by the National Bureau of Economic Research shows that net job creation is driven by business start-ups. Innovation is a central driver of high-growth startups, allowing companies to form around new products and services. The caucus will research and discuss policy options including:
- Encourage growth of globally competitive startups and greater access to venture capital
- Simplify, and help startups navigate, regulatory frameworks within the state
- Support development of startup mentorship networks
- Support entrepreneurship in schools and universities, including encouraging technology transfer and commercialization
“It’s far past time innovation work for equity as well as equality,” said Representative Fansler, co-chair. “In commerce, transportation, and communication we can harness technology’s potential to nurture a new frontier of businesses and change the face of Alaska’s economy.”
The bipartisan, bicameral caucus includes:
Senator Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) Co-Chair
Rep. Zach Fansler (D-Bethel) Co-Chair
Sen. Shelley Hughes (R-Palmer)
Sen. Berta Gardner (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Bill Wielechowski (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Tom Begich (D-Anchorage)
Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux (R-Anchorage)
Rep. Chris Tuck (D-Anchorage)
Rep. David Guttenberg (D-Fairbanks)
Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins (D-Sitka)
Rep. Jason Grenn (I-Anchorage)
Rep. Justin Parish (D-Juneau)
Rep. Jennifer Johnston (R-Anchorage)
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – On Tuesday, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, congratulated the U.S. Coast Guard for its 230th year anniversary.
Senate President Cathy Giessel and Soldotna Senator Peter Micciche today issued the following statements after the tragic death of Soldotna Representative Gary Knopp....
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today appointed John Binkley to serve on the Redistricting Board
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority this week commended a decision by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to approve a proposed route for the Ambler Road project....
On Tuesday, the State of Alaska made one of the most important investments in its 61-year history: a roughly $5 billion transfer from the Alaska Permanent Fund’s Earnings Reserve...
JUNEAU – Sen. Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, applauded a rule today that fixed an issue for commercial fishermen who were unable to receive adequate funding under the Paycheck Protection...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today issued the following statements after hearing news of University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen’s resignation....
FAIRBANKS – On Sunday, June 7, Alaska will celebrate the first annual Walter Harper Day in recognition of the Athabascan-Irish man who, on June 7, 1913 became the first person to stand...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, this week urged the leadership of Alaska Department of Public Safety (DPS) to halt their plan that would centralize 911 response...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska