News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: March 22, 2017
Legislators Create Alaska Innovation Caucus
Leaders from all parties come together for Alaska’s future economy
JUNEAU – Recognizing the importance of ingenuity and creativity in building a strong economy, members of the Alaska State Legislature have formed a caucus centered on moving Alaska’s economy forward through innovation. The Alaska Innovation Caucus (AKIC) will foster a culture of entrepreneurship and support small business development across our state.
“Innovation is at the heart of economic development,” said Senator Mia Costello, co-chair. “Prioritizing entrepreneurism and adopting smart new strategies can open Alaska to new industries and possibilities.”
Research by the National Bureau of Economic Research shows that net job creation is driven by business start-ups. Innovation is a central driver of high-growth startups, allowing companies to form around new products and services. The caucus will research and discuss policy options including:
- Encourage growth of globally competitive startups and greater access to venture capital
- Simplify, and help startups navigate, regulatory frameworks within the state
- Support development of startup mentorship networks
- Support entrepreneurship in schools and universities, including encouraging technology transfer and commercialization
“It’s far past time innovation work for equity as well as equality,” said Representative Fansler, co-chair. “In commerce, transportation, and communication we can harness technology’s potential to nurture a new frontier of businesses and change the face of Alaska’s economy.”
The bipartisan, bicameral caucus includes:
Senator Mia Costello (R-Anchorage) Co-Chair
Rep. Zach Fansler (D-Bethel) Co-Chair
Sen. Shelley Hughes (R-Palmer)
Sen. Berta Gardner (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Bill Wielechowski (D-Anchorage)
Sen. Tom Begich (D-Anchorage)
Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux (R-Anchorage)
Rep. Chris Tuck (D-Anchorage)
Rep. David Guttenberg (D-Fairbanks)
Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins (D-Sitka)
Rep. Jason Grenn (I-Anchorage)
Rep. Justin Parish (D-Juneau)
Rep. Jennifer Johnston (R-Anchorage)
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Senator Bert Stedman, R-Southeast Islands, today expressed disappointment with comments made by Department of Transportation (DOT) officials casting blame on the...
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel today released the following statement on the Alaska Reads Act, a new statewide early education and K-3 reading program by Governor Mike...
Alaska Senators congratulated Alyeska Pipeline Service Company today for transporting the eighteen billionth barrel of Alaska North Slope crude oil safely through the Trans Alaska...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, sent a letter Thursday requesting a meeting with federal officials to investigate why efforts to fully extinguish the Swan Lake Fire...
JUNEAU – Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced it is seeking public comment on a draft environmental impact statement offering alternatives to roadless management and a...
WASILLA – Sen. David Wilson, R-Wasilla, Chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, welcomed the approval Tuesday of the state’s behavioral health portion of its...
ANCHORAGE – BP today announced that it has agreed to sell its entire business in Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska.
JUNEAU – Anchorage Senator Chris Birch passed away on Wednesday. He was 68 years old.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today voted to restore funding for programs critical to Alaskans and provide for a sustainable Permanent Fund dividend amount.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska