News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: July 28, 2017
Bill Ending Cash Payments to Oil & Gas Companies Becomes Law
JUNEAU – Today, Gov. Bill Walker signed House Bill 111 into law, legislation that ends the state's program of cash payments to companies in the oil and gas industry. In response, Sen. Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, chair of the Senate Resources Committee and co-chair for the Conference Committee on House Bill 111, issued the following statement.
“The bill signed into law today will affect Alaska families, Alaska businesses and Alaska jobs. The cash credit program over the last ten years brought investment money to our state, gas into our homes and businesses, and optimism thanks to the new discoveries on the North Slope. And the credits brought thousands of jobs for Alaskans. Jobs supporting Alaskan families, jobs supporting Alaskan businesses, and jobs that strengthened our Alaskan towns and villages. We cannot afford the cash credit program anymore, and we have to be honest going forward. However, we owe it to the thousands of Alaskan families and businesses to continue to work toward economic development, family-supporting jobs and prosperity. I want every Alaska-born child to have the opportunity to grow up in this wonderful state, every parent to be able to work and support their family here, and every Alaska business to be prosperous.”
The final version of House Bill 111 was the result of lengthy negotiations between the House and Senate Conference Committee members, and passed the Senate unanimously and the House by a vote of 33-6.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, an Advanced Nurse Practitioner, early this morning released the following statement on the 31st Alaska Legislature’s...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature early this morning approved the state’s operating and capital budgets for the upcoming 2021 fiscal year, with critical emergency funding for the...
JUNEAU – In response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Alaska Legislature early this morning passed a bill extending Governor Mike Dunleavy’s public health...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill reforming the state’s mining policies.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill expanding mental health services in Alaska.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed a bill funding state government for the upcoming 2021 fiscal year, a partial capital budget, and emergency funding to respond to the coronavirus...
JUNEAU – Today, Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, co-chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, and Senator Natasha von Imhof,...
JUNEAU – Today, exactly 107 years after the First Territorial Alaska Senate passed a bill granting Alaskan women the right to vote, the Thirty-First Alaska Senate unanimously approved...
Bill also pays for last year’s firefighting and healthcare costs
JUNEAU – This week, the Alaska Senate Finance Committee will be taking public testimony on the operating and capital budgets beginning at 9 a.m. on Wednesday....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska