News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: July 28, 2017
Bill Ending Cash Payments to Oil & Gas Companies Becomes Law
JUNEAU – Today, Gov. Bill Walker signed House Bill 111 into law, legislation that ends the state's program of cash payments to companies in the oil and gas industry. In response, Sen. Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, chair of the Senate Resources Committee and co-chair for the Conference Committee on House Bill 111, issued the following statement.
“The bill signed into law today will affect Alaska families, Alaska businesses and Alaska jobs. The cash credit program over the last ten years brought investment money to our state, gas into our homes and businesses, and optimism thanks to the new discoveries on the North Slope. And the credits brought thousands of jobs for Alaskans. Jobs supporting Alaskan families, jobs supporting Alaskan businesses, and jobs that strengthened our Alaskan towns and villages. We cannot afford the cash credit program anymore, and we have to be honest going forward. However, we owe it to the thousands of Alaskan families and businesses to continue to work toward economic development, family-supporting jobs and prosperity. I want every Alaska-born child to have the opportunity to grow up in this wonderful state, every parent to be able to work and support their family here, and every Alaska business to be prosperous.”
The final version of House Bill 111 was the result of lengthy negotiations between the House and Senate Conference Committee members, and passed the Senate unanimously and the House by a vote of 33-6.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – John Bruce “Jack” Coghill passed away this morning at the age of 93 of natural causes.
JUNEAU – Today, the co-chairs of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) and Senator Natasha von Imhof (R-Anchorage), commented on Governor Michael J....
With many in Juneau anticipating budget cuts Wednesday from the governor, a legislator has introduced a bill to establish a $30 education head tax to help raise money for school...
JUNEAU –Today, Senator David Wilson (R-Wasilla), chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, released the following statement in response to the Dunleavy...
JUNEAU – The 31st Alaska Legislature convened today, and with it a new 14-member Senate Majority laid out its vision for Alaska: A government that responsibly budgets, prioritizes...
JUNEAU — Today, Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna) filed Senate Bill 12 to eliminate the “Schneider Loopholes” in Alaska’s criminal code. The case of Justin Schneider, the man...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority today welcomed a significant step toward opening the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) for responsible resource...
ANCHORAGE – Today, co-chairs of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) and Senator Natasha von Imhof (R-Anchorage), commented on Governor Mike Dunleavy’s...
ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Senate Majority today announced its complete team for the 31st Alaska Legislature, which begins Jan. 15.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska