News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: July 28, 2017
Bill Ending Cash Payments to Oil & Gas Companies Becomes Law
JUNEAU – Today, Gov. Bill Walker signed House Bill 111 into law, legislation that ends the state's program of cash payments to companies in the oil and gas industry. In response, Sen. Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, chair of the Senate Resources Committee and co-chair for the Conference Committee on House Bill 111, issued the following statement.
“The bill signed into law today will affect Alaska families, Alaska businesses and Alaska jobs. The cash credit program over the last ten years brought investment money to our state, gas into our homes and businesses, and optimism thanks to the new discoveries on the North Slope. And the credits brought thousands of jobs for Alaskans. Jobs supporting Alaskan families, jobs supporting Alaskan businesses, and jobs that strengthened our Alaskan towns and villages. We cannot afford the cash credit program anymore, and we have to be honest going forward. However, we owe it to the thousands of Alaskan families and businesses to continue to work toward economic development, family-supporting jobs and prosperity. I want every Alaska-born child to have the opportunity to grow up in this wonderful state, every parent to be able to work and support their family here, and every Alaska business to be prosperous.”
The final version of House Bill 111 was the result of lengthy negotiations between the House and Senate Conference Committee members, and passed the Senate unanimously and the House by a vote of 33-6.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – On Tuesday, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, congratulated the U.S. Coast Guard for its 230th year anniversary.
Senate President Cathy Giessel and Soldotna Senator Peter Micciche today issued the following statements after the tragic death of Soldotna Representative Gary Knopp....
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today appointed John Binkley to serve on the Redistricting Board
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority this week commended a decision by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to approve a proposed route for the Ambler Road project....
On Tuesday, the State of Alaska made one of the most important investments in its 61-year history: a roughly $5 billion transfer from the Alaska Permanent Fund’s Earnings Reserve...
JUNEAU – Sen. Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, applauded a rule today that fixed an issue for commercial fishermen who were unable to receive adequate funding under the Paycheck Protection...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today issued the following statements after hearing news of University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen’s resignation....
FAIRBANKS – On Sunday, June 7, Alaska will celebrate the first annual Walter Harper Day in recognition of the Athabascan-Irish man who, on June 7, 1913 became the first person to stand...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, this week urged the leadership of Alaska Department of Public Safety (DPS) to halt their plan that would centralize 911 response...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska