News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: July 28, 2017
Bill Ending Cash Payments to Oil & Gas Companies Becomes Law
JUNEAU – Today, Gov. Bill Walker signed House Bill 111 into law, legislation that ends the state's program of cash payments to companies in the oil and gas industry. In response, Sen. Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, chair of the Senate Resources Committee and co-chair for the Conference Committee on House Bill 111, issued the following statement.
“The bill signed into law today will affect Alaska families, Alaska businesses and Alaska jobs. The cash credit program over the last ten years brought investment money to our state, gas into our homes and businesses, and optimism thanks to the new discoveries on the North Slope. And the credits brought thousands of jobs for Alaskans. Jobs supporting Alaskan families, jobs supporting Alaskan businesses, and jobs that strengthened our Alaskan towns and villages. We cannot afford the cash credit program anymore, and we have to be honest going forward. However, we owe it to the thousands of Alaskan families and businesses to continue to work toward economic development, family-supporting jobs and prosperity. I want every Alaska-born child to have the opportunity to grow up in this wonderful state, every parent to be able to work and support their family here, and every Alaska business to be prosperous.”
The final version of House Bill 111 was the result of lengthy negotiations between the House and Senate Conference Committee members, and passed the Senate unanimously and the House by a vote of 33-6.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Anchorage Senator Chris Birch passed away on Wednesday. He was 68 years old.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today voted to restore funding for programs critical to Alaskans and provide for a sustainable Permanent Fund dividend amount.
Today, Governor Mike Dunleavy amended his call for the Second Special Session to include the unfinished capital budget appropriations bill and to change the session location from...
This week, the clock ran out on the Alaska Legislature's constitutional opportunity to reject Gov. Mike Dunleavy's $444 million in budget vetoes through an override vote supported by...
Joint floor session scheduled for 11:30a.m. in the Alaska State Capitol
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement on Governor Mike Dunleavy’s announced vetoes to the state’s operating budget....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature announced today it will convene in Juneau on July 8th for the 2nd special session, with the majority of meetings to be held in Anchorage....
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement on the conclusion of the first special session of the 31st Alaska Legislature....
JUNEAU – With about three weeks remaining in the 2019 fiscal year, the Dunleavy administration this week distributed a one-time $20 million grant appropriated last year by the Alaska...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska