News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: January 15, 2020
Statement from Sen. Giessel on Alaska Reads Act
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel today released the following statement on the Alaska Reads Act, a new statewide early education and K-3 reading program by Governor Mike Dunleavy and Senator Tom Begich.
“Childhood literacy is not a partisan issue. It's critical to the strength of our economy, the health of our communities and the endurance of our democracy. I believe this effort – spearheaded by Senator Begich and Governor Dunleavy – will make tremendous strides toward achieving universal literacy, a goal we all share as Alaskans.”
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill establishing Walter Harper Day on June 7 of each year.
JUNEAU – The Alaska State Senate today unanimously passed a resolution supporting the creation of the first Arctic Department of Defense Regional Center for Security Studies....
JUNEAU – Senator Bert Stedman, R-Southeast Islands, today expressed disappointment with comments made by Department of Transportation (DOT) officials casting blame on the...
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel today released the following statement on the Alaska Reads Act, a new statewide early education and K-3 reading program by Governor Mike...
Alaska Senators congratulated Alyeska Pipeline Service Company today for transporting the eighteen billionth barrel of Alaska North Slope crude oil safely through the Trans Alaska...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, sent a letter Thursday requesting a meeting with federal officials to investigate why efforts to fully extinguish the Swan Lake Fire...
JUNEAU – Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced it is seeking public comment on a draft environmental impact statement offering alternatives to roadless management and a...
WASILLA – Sen. David Wilson, R-Wasilla, Chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, welcomed the approval Tuesday of the state’s behavioral health portion of its...
ANCHORAGE – BP today announced that it has agreed to sell its entire business in Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska.
JUNEAU – Anchorage Senator Chris Birch passed away on Wednesday. He was 68 years old.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska