News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: January 15, 2020
Statement from Sen. Giessel on Alaska Reads Act
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel today released the following statement on the Alaska Reads Act, a new statewide early education and K-3 reading program by Governor Mike Dunleavy and Senator Tom Begich.
“Childhood literacy is not a partisan issue. It's critical to the strength of our economy, the health of our communities and the endurance of our democracy. I believe this effort – spearheaded by Senator Begich and Governor Dunleavy – will make tremendous strides toward achieving universal literacy, a goal we all share as Alaskans.”
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – On Tuesday, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, congratulated the U.S. Coast Guard for its 230th year anniversary.
Senate President Cathy Giessel and Soldotna Senator Peter Micciche today issued the following statements after the tragic death of Soldotna Representative Gary Knopp....
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today appointed John Binkley to serve on the Redistricting Board
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority this week commended a decision by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to approve a proposed route for the Ambler Road project....
On Tuesday, the State of Alaska made one of the most important investments in its 61-year history: a roughly $5 billion transfer from the Alaska Permanent Fund’s Earnings Reserve...
JUNEAU – Sen. Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, applauded a rule today that fixed an issue for commercial fishermen who were unable to receive adequate funding under the Paycheck Protection...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today issued the following statements after hearing news of University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen’s resignation....
FAIRBANKS – On Sunday, June 7, Alaska will celebrate the first annual Walter Harper Day in recognition of the Athabascan-Irish man who, on June 7, 1913 became the first person to stand...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, this week urged the leadership of Alaska Department of Public Safety (DPS) to halt their plan that would centralize 911 response...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska