News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: November 06, 2020
Statement from Sen. Giessel on Governor’s New Declaration
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement after Governor Mike Dunleavy announced that he is issuing a new 30-day Declaration of Public Health Disaster Emergency.
“Our continued public health response to the virus should be smart, secure, and protect Alaskans. As infection rates and deaths increase, Alaskans are looking for clear leadership and the preservation of important public health measures to support a robust response. Funding to our healthcare infrastructure and personnel must be readily available.
“The governor has the power to call the legislature into session and provide a bill narrowly tailored to address the needs of Alaskans. With his leadership, the legislature can quickly deliver legislation to his desk before the November 15 deadline – extending it beyond 30 days, if necessary.
“It’s concerning to me that the governor has chosen this far more arbitrary and tenuous course of action. His choice places Alaska communities, healthcare providers, businesses, and citizens in an unstable, unpredictable position. If the action is challenged in court, our state security and stability become on trial and in jeopardy. The option was available to do this right, and I urge the governor to reconsider his course of action.”
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, sent a letter Wednesday urging the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (NPFMC) to reject a rushed proposal lacking due process...
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement after Governor Mike Dunleavy announced that he is issuing a new 30-day Declaration of...
SOLDOTNA – Members of the Kenai Peninsula Legislative Delegation sent a letter to Governor Mike Dunleavy on Wednesday urging him to declare a state economic disaster for the Upper Cook...
BETHEL – Today, the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Utility Service Program announced they are awarding a $25 million grant to GCI to build fiber optic broadband through...
Giving freely of his time SPC Garcia, organized supplies, volunteers and worked weekends to convert a retaining wall at 10th and Hyder from graffiti into a beautiful community treasure....
After a summer of record-setting rainfall, the Swan Lake Hydroelectric Facility reached full capacity following expansion totaling an additional 15 feet of storage for the first time....
ANCHORAGE – On Friday, August 28, at 3:00 p.m. in the Anchorage Legislative Information Office (LIO), the Senate Resources Committee will hold a hearing to take public testimony on and...
KETCHIKAN – Work will soon begin on a host of projects meant to enhance the movement of people and goods between Ketchikan and Gravina Island.
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement after the U.S. Department of Energy on Thursday authorized the Alaska LNG project to...
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement in response to the U.S. Department of the Interior’s decision approving an oil and...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska