News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Giessel
For Immediate Release: August 27, 2019
Statement from Senate President Giessel on BP Sale to Hilcorp
ANCHORAGE – BP today announced that it has agreed to sell its entire business in Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska.
In response, Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, released the following statement.
“I am excited to see Hilcorp expand its investment in Alaska. At the same time, BP’s exit raises significant concerns and questions, in my mind, about the impact of Alaska’s political instability on BP’s business decision. BP has been a ‘legacy’ investor in Alaska, shaping communities and job opportunities for a couple generations.
“If our state is to realize its full economic potential, we must have the patience and long-term vision to be a reliable partner with the private sector. Alaska’s families, businesses and jobs depend on it.”
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, an Advanced Nurse Practitioner, early this morning released the following statement on the 31st Alaska Legislature’s...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature early this morning approved the state’s operating and capital budgets for the upcoming 2021 fiscal year, with critical emergency funding for the...
JUNEAU – In response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Alaska Legislature early this morning passed a bill extending Governor Mike Dunleavy’s public health...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill reforming the state’s mining policies.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed a bill expanding mental health services in Alaska.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed a bill funding state government for the upcoming 2021 fiscal year, a partial capital budget, and emergency funding to respond to the coronavirus...
JUNEAU – Today, Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, co-chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, and Senator Natasha von Imhof,...
JUNEAU – Today, exactly 107 years after the First Territorial Alaska Senate passed a bill granting Alaskan women the right to vote, the Thirty-First Alaska Senate unanimously approved...
Bill also pays for last year’s firefighting and healthcare costs
JUNEAU – This week, the Alaska Senate Finance Committee will be taking public testimony on the operating and capital budgets beginning at 9 a.m. on Wednesday....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska