News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Majority Office
For Immediate Release: July 08, 2019
Alaska Legislature to hold veto override session on Wednesday
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature will hold a joint floor session Wednesdayat 11:30a.m. in the State Capitol to allow legislators to vote for or against the governor’s operating budget vetoes.
The House and Senate scheduled the meeting shortly after gaveling in and beginning this year’s second special session, as the Alaska Constitution allows lawmakers only five days to attempt to override a governor’s budget vetoes.
Gov. Mike Dunleavy cut $444 million from the budget that passed the Legislature earlier this year. In order to achieve an override of individual line items or to collectively reject all vetoes, three-quarters of legislators must vote in agreement.
“Alaskans now understand the gravity of our budget dilemma,” saidSenate President Cathy Giessel(R-Alaska). “Seniors, college students, and victims of domestic violence are just a few of the Alaskans who are impacted. Wednesday will be legislators’ chance to approve or reject the governor's budget vetoes.”
“The governor’s budget threatens to send Alaska into deep economic recession and fails to address the underlying problems that create budget challenges year after year,” House Speaker Bryce Edgmon(I-Dillingham) said. “The cut to the University of Alaska is thoughtless and anti-business. Taking reliable income from financially vulnerable elders is cruel and unnecessary. Stepping away from the state’s commitment to help pay for school construction is a broken promise and a hidden tax increase. I urge lawmakers to stand together on Wednesdayand reject these damaging vetoes.”
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Senator Bert Stedman, R-Southeast Islands, today expressed disappointment with comments made by Department of Transportation (DOT) officials casting blame on the...
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel today released the following statement on the Alaska Reads Act, a new statewide early education and K-3 reading program by Governor Mike...
Alaska Senators congratulated Alyeska Pipeline Service Company today for transporting the eighteen billionth barrel of Alaska North Slope crude oil safely through the Trans Alaska...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, sent a letter Thursday requesting a meeting with federal officials to investigate why efforts to fully extinguish the Swan Lake Fire...
JUNEAU – Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced it is seeking public comment on a draft environmental impact statement offering alternatives to roadless management and a...
WASILLA – Sen. David Wilson, R-Wasilla, Chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, welcomed the approval Tuesday of the state’s behavioral health portion of its...
ANCHORAGE – BP today announced that it has agreed to sell its entire business in Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska.
JUNEAU – Anchorage Senator Chris Birch passed away on Wednesday. He was 68 years old.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today voted to restore funding for programs critical to Alaskans and provide for a sustainable Permanent Fund dividend amount.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska