News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Hoffman
For Immediate Release: October 13, 2020
USDA Awards Grant for Rural School Broadband
BETHEL – Today, the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Utility Service Program announced they are awarding a $25 million grant to GCI to build fiber optic broadband through the Aleutian chain to Unalaska.
“This is a critical piece of infrastructure to our region that will bridge Alaska’s digital divide,” said Senate Majority Leader Lyman Hoffman, D-Bethel. “Soon, more rural Alaskans will have high speed, affordable broadband in our homes and businesses in communities along the chain.”
The Legislature this year passed Senate Bill 74, legislation sponsored by Sen. Hoffman that increased the minimum internet speed at schools statewide from 10 to 25 megabits per second.
This new law benefits Alaska students across the state by bridging the digital divide between urban and rural school districts, providing better access to information available in today’s world. Passage of SB 74 was an important step in making this project possible.
“I want to thank the USDA, Alaska’s Congressional Delegation – led on this issue by Senator Sullivan – and GCI for their efforts to bring better connectivity out the Aleutian chain,” Sen. Hoffman said. “This infrastructure expansion is critically important, especially with many students receiving an education online at home due to Covid.”
SB 74 was signed into law by Gov. Mike Dunleavy on March 25.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, today thanked Governor Mike Dunleavy for reopening the Silvertip Maintenance Station for the remainder of the 2020/2021 snow season....
ANCHORAGE – Today, Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, an Advanced Nurse Practitioner, applauded Governor Mike Dunleavy’s decision to divide the Alaska Department of...
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, sent a letter Wednesday urging the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (NPFMC) to reject a rushed proposal lacking due process...
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement after Governor Mike Dunleavy announced that he is issuing a new 30-day Declaration of...
SOLDOTNA – Members of the Kenai Peninsula Legislative Delegation sent a letter to Governor Mike Dunleavy on Wednesday urging him to declare a state economic disaster for the Upper Cook...
BETHEL – Today, the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Utility Service Program announced they are awarding a $25 million grant to GCI to build fiber optic broadband through...
Giving freely of his time SPC Garcia, organized supplies, volunteers and worked weekends to convert a retaining wall at 10th and Hyder from graffiti into a beautiful community treasure....
After a summer of record-setting rainfall, the Swan Lake Hydroelectric Facility reached full capacity following expansion totaling an additional 15 feet of storage for the first time....
ANCHORAGE – On Friday, August 28, at 3:00 p.m. in the Anchorage Legislative Information Office (LIO), the Senate Resources Committee will hold a hearing to take public testimony on and...
KETCHIKAN – Work will soon begin on a host of projects meant to enhance the movement of people and goods between Ketchikan and Gravina Island.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska