News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Micciche
For Immediate Release: November 10, 2017
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
JUNEAU - Today, by a vote of 11 to 8, the Alaska Senate concurred with the House changes to Senate Bill 54. SB54 toughens Alaska criminal laws reversing some provisions of Senate Bill 91 passed in 2016.
"We got the message loud and clear." said Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna). "Alaskans deserve to feel safe. Senate Bill 54 delivers the tools our police and prosecutors say will help them get the job done."
Senate Bill 54 increases jail time for theft from minor shoplifting to car theft, allows offenders to be jailed for violating conditions of their pre-trial release, aggressively fights drug related crime and increases incarceration for assaults against uniformed first responders, like police officers, paramedics and firefighters.
"My community has been hit hard by increasing crime over the last couple of years" said Senator Anna MacKinnon (R-Eagle River). "I believe SB54 goes a long way to fighting back with the tougher sentences and better protections for both citizens and businesses."
"Alaskans are tired of feeling unsafe as the list of victims grows longer. I am proud to stand with them today by supporting Senate Bill 54." said Senator Micciche. "There must be real consequences for those who refuse to respect the law. While there is no silver bullet to prevent all victimization, what we can do we must do. "
For more information, please contact Daniel McDonald in the Senate Majority Press Office at (907) 269-0147.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously voted for a resolution urging the U.S. to issue a presidential permit allowing a railroad crossing between Alaska and Canada....
The numbers are in for the 2019 Alaska Permanent Fund Education Raffle. The program, in its first year, raised a grand total of $976,400, with 85 percent of the proceeds directly benefiting...
The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed Senate Bill 16 to clarify irregularities detrimental to small businesses in the state’s alcohol license laws.
JUNEAU – The Senate Finance Committee today introduced a pair of bills to cap government spending and establish a 50-50 split between dividends and state expenses from the limited...
Leaders from all parties come together for Alaska’s future economy
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously approved a measure that improves statewide access to vaccines and reduces healthcare costs for providers and insurance payers....
JUNEAU – Today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in favor of John Sturgeon, finding that the Nation River is state, not federal, land, and is therefore navigable inside of Alaska’s...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously approved funding to aid communities impacted by the Nov. 30 Southcentral earthquake.
JUNEAU – A bill was introduced in the Alaska Senate this week to give Alaskans the option of donating all or a portion of their Permanent Fund dividends (PFDs) directly to the state’s...
JUNEAU – Today, a bill was introduced in the Alaska Senate to repeal provisions of a new law found to be too restrictive of Alaska’s citizen legislature.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska