News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Micciche
For Immediate Release: November 10, 2017
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
Senate Toughens Criminal Law
JUNEAU - Today, by a vote of 11 to 8, the Alaska Senate concurred with the House changes to Senate Bill 54. SB54 toughens Alaska criminal laws reversing some provisions of Senate Bill 91 passed in 2016.
"We got the message loud and clear." said Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna). "Alaskans deserve to feel safe. Senate Bill 54 delivers the tools our police and prosecutors say will help them get the job done."
Senate Bill 54 increases jail time for theft from minor shoplifting to car theft, allows offenders to be jailed for violating conditions of their pre-trial release, aggressively fights drug related crime and increases incarceration for assaults against uniformed first responders, like police officers, paramedics and firefighters.
"My community has been hit hard by increasing crime over the last couple of years" said Senator Anna MacKinnon (R-Eagle River). "I believe SB54 goes a long way to fighting back with the tougher sentences and better protections for both citizens and businesses."
"Alaskans are tired of feeling unsafe as the list of victims grows longer. I am proud to stand with them today by supporting Senate Bill 54." said Senator Micciche. "There must be real consequences for those who refuse to respect the law. While there is no silver bullet to prevent all victimization, what we can do we must do. "
For more information, please contact Daniel McDonald in the Senate Majority Press Office at (907) 269-0147.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – John Bruce “Jack” Coghill passed away this morning at the age of 93 of natural causes.
JUNEAU – Today, the co-chairs of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) and Senator Natasha von Imhof (R-Anchorage), commented on Governor Michael J....
With many in Juneau anticipating budget cuts Wednesday from the governor, a legislator has introduced a bill to establish a $30 education head tax to help raise money for school...
JUNEAU –Today, Senator David Wilson (R-Wasilla), chairman of the Senate Health and Social Services Committee, released the following statement in response to the Dunleavy...
JUNEAU – The 31st Alaska Legislature convened today, and with it a new 14-member Senate Majority laid out its vision for Alaska: A government that responsibly budgets, prioritizes...
JUNEAU — Today, Senator Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna) filed Senate Bill 12 to eliminate the “Schneider Loopholes” in Alaska’s criminal code. The case of Justin Schneider, the man...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority today welcomed a significant step toward opening the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) for responsible resource...
ANCHORAGE – Today, co-chairs of the Senate Finance Committee, Senator Bert Stedman (R-Sitka) and Senator Natasha von Imhof (R-Anchorage), commented on Governor Mike Dunleavy’s...
ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Senate Majority today announced its complete team for the 31st Alaska Legislature, which begins Jan. 15.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cantwell, King Cove, Nenana, Hooper Bay, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Northeast + Northwest Alaska