News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senate Majority Press
For Immediate Release: May 28, 2019
Legislature Sends SB 91 Repeal to Governor's Desk
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today voted to repeal and replace Senate Bill 91, strengthen the state’s sex crime laws, and provide police and prosecutors with new tools to fight crime.
“Public safety is government’s foundational responsibility and has been the Senate’s top priority since day one,” said Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage. “I am incredibly proud of my colleagues for their tireless work on this effort. In the end, the Legislature came together and approved legislation that will restore law and order to communities across Alaska.”
“We poured over every aspect of the bills and made numerous improvements to them, to return the needed tools to law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges to ensure offenders will be held accountable for their crimes and victims will receive justice,” said Senator Shelley Hughes, R-Palmer, chairwoman of the Judiciary Committee. “We took our time to get it right, vetting the bills very thoroughly to repeal and replace SB 91. After the fiasco of the 2016 supposed criminal justice reform and the tragic rise in crime and decline in public safety, Alaskans deserved nothing less.”
“Today, we finally repealed and replaced SB 91, fulfilling a promise made to Alaskans by myself and others,” said Senator Mike Shower, R-Wasilla, chairman of the State Affairs Committee. “Now we can begin the work of restoring law and order, protecting citizens, restoring justice to victims, and turning the tide against criminals in our great state.”
House Bill 49 passed the Senate 18-0 and the House 36-2, for a combined vote of 54-2. The bill is now on its way to Governor Mike Dunleavy’s desk for his signature.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
SOLDOTNA – Senator Peter Micciche, R-Soldotna, this week urged the leadership of Alaska Department of Public Safety (DPS) to halt their plan that would centralize 911 response...
JUNEAU – The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) announced today it had authorized the Alaska Gasline Development Corporation (AGDC) to liquefy and export liquefied natural...
HB 313 provides over $1 billion to Alaskans
ANCHORAGE – The state Legislative Budget & Audit Committee today delivered $1 billion to Alaska communities, small businesses, fisheries, and airports from the federal Coronavirus...
JUNEAU – The state Legislative Budget & Audit Committee today authorized $125 million for education, child nutrition programs, public safety, and transportation from the federal...
JUNEAU – On Wednesday, a bill expanding mental health services in Alaska was signed into law by Governor Mike Dunleavy.
JUNEAU – On Wednesday, a bill reforming Alaska’s mining policies was signed into law by Governor Mike Dunleavy.
JUNEAU – On Wednesday, a bill establishing Walter Harper Day on June 7 of each year was signed into law by Governor Mike Dunleavy.
JUNEAU – Today, a bill to create a framework for utilities, independent power producers, and consumer groups to work together on enforceable standards to improve Railbelt electric...
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, an Advanced Nurse Practitioner, early this morning released the following statement on the 31st Alaska Legislature’s...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska