News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Stedman
For Immediate Release: August 03, 2020
Senator Stedman Thanks U.S. Coast Guard for 230 Years of Service
“I want to thank the brave men and women who protect my district and our state from danger and help protect our citizens, their property and the environment we live in,” Sen. Stedman said. “On behalf of our communities, I would like to honor USCG District 17, that is always there to help and protect Alaskans when they call for help in distress.”
The 17th District serves all of Alaska and encompasses over 47,300 miles of shoreline throughout the state and the Arctic.
“I commend the USCG members especially for their vigilance among our communities to help keep people safe and healthy and reduce the spread of COVID-19,” Sen. Stedman said. “These essential men and women have been working hard throughout the pandemic to keep our safety standards and laws upheld and protect and rescue Alaskans.”
Throughout the pandemic, District 17 has adapted and maintained operational readiness to continue missions and response.
“The Coast Guard pushes the limit in responding to maritime incidents and we are thankful that they are always at the ready to respond to emergencies,” Sen. Stedman said.
During an average month, the District 17 Coast Guard saves 22 lives, assists 53 people, reports and investigates 25 marine causalities, performs 143 commercial fishing vessel safety exams, saves over $1.65 million in property and performs 95 marine inspections. They have been serving the Last Frontier since 1867.
Photo courtesy of Coast Guard Air Station Sitka.
For more information contact: Mollie Barnes, firstname.lastname@example.org, 907-465-1729.
News & Videos more >
After a summer of record-setting rainfall, the Swan Lake Hydroelectric Facility reached full capacity following expansion totaling an additional 15 feet of storage for the first time....
ANCHORAGE – On Friday, August 28, at 3:00 p.m. in the Anchorage Legislative Information Office (LIO), the Senate Resources Committee will hold a hearing to take public testimony on and...
KETCHIKAN – Work will soon begin on a host of projects meant to enhance the movement of people and goods between Ketchikan and Gravina Island.
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement after the U.S. Department of Energy on Thursday authorized the Alaska LNG project to...
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today released the following statement in response to the U.S. Department of the Interior’s decision approving an oil and...
JUNEAU – On Tuesday, Senator Bert Stedman, R-Sitka, congratulated the U.S. Coast Guard for its 230th year anniversary.
Senate President Cathy Giessel and Soldotna Senator Peter Micciche today issued the following statements after the tragic death of Soldotna Representative Gary Knopp....
ANCHORAGE – Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, today appointed John Binkley to serve on the Redistricting Board
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate Majority this week commended a decision by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to approve a proposed route for the Ambler Road project....
On Tuesday, the State of Alaska made one of the most important investments in its 61-year history: a roughly $5 billion transfer from the Alaska Permanent Fund’s Earnings Reserve...
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska