Investing in Our Next Generation
Educate and Train Alaskans for the Future of Our State
Update 5/1/19: The Senate early funded education in 2019 and fully funded K-12 again for 2020, despite reducing the overall budget.
No one questions that education is a smart investment for the future of each student and our state as a whole. Our members hold a diverse portfolio of convictions on the best course to chart for Alaska's educational future.
As the Senate Majority we focus on accountability and standards, making sure that Alaska's educational dollars are being used to the greatest effect in the classroom.
We promote opportunity and choice for Alaska's parents and students – empowering students to pursue learning in different ways, whether in traditional classroom settings or in a charter school environment.
Since 2015, the State of Alaska has been challenged by a devastating drop in revenue. While cutting some departments by more than 30%, education funding has been held harmless. In an environment of scarce resources, the Senate Majority's focus has been finding revenue neutral ways to encourage excellence in education.
Senate Bills Focused on improving Education
- Post-Secondary Student Loans, SJR 2 >
- Protecting Parental Rights, SB 89 >
- Internet Funding for School, SB 102 >
- Innovation in Education Grants, SB 103 >
- Accountability for Department of Education, SB 80 >
- Protecting Student Data, SB 3 >
- Establishing a Task Force for Civics Education, SCR 1 >
- Establishing Alaska School Choice Week, SCR 3 >
- Reemployment of Retired Teachers, SB 185 >
- Unfunded Mandates to Schools, SB 102 >
- School Size Funding Formula, SB 216 >
Featured Videos more >
News more >
BETHEL – Today, the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Utility Service Program announced they are awarding a $25 million grant to GCI to build fiber optic broadband through...
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today issued the following statements after hearing news of University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen’s resignation....
JUNEAU – Senate President Cathy Giessel today released the following statement on the Alaska Reads Act, a new statewide early education and K-3 reading program by Governor Mike...
JUNEAU – With about three weeks remaining in the 2019 fiscal year, the Dunleavy administration this week distributed a one-time $20 million grant appropriated last year by the Alaska...
The numbers are in for the 2019 Alaska Permanent Fund Education Raffle. The program, in its first year, raised a grand total of $976,400, with 85 percent of the proceeds directly benefiting...
JUNEAU – Today, a constitutional amendment was introduced in the Alaska Senate to require early-funding for Alaska’s K-12 public education system.
With many in Juneau anticipating budget cuts Wednesday from the governor, a legislator has introduced a bill to establish a $30 education head tax to help raise money for school...
Today Governor signed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature this week passed a bill allowing school districts to temporarily fill vacancies with qualified retired teachers.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska