News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Costello
For Immediate Release: May 10, 2018
Senate Passes Crime Package, Votes to End 'Catch and Release'
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a wide-ranging crime package that provides judges and law enforcement with the tools they need to effectively fight crime.
“Today, we said ‘enough is enough,’” said Sen. Peter Micciche (R-Soldotna). “We took down the ‘Welcome to Alaska’ sign for those bad actors who come to Alaska hoping for a clean slate. We shut the revolving door by ending catch-and-release. This bill is bad for criminals and good for law abiding Alaska.”
“Public safety is our number one priority,” said Sen. Mia Costello (R-Anchorage). “Business owners want to get back to doing business, not fending off criminals.”
As amended and passed by the Senate, HB 312:
- Removes mandatory release requirements in favor of judicial discretion;
- Makes it a crime to attack medical professionals who are trying to help people;
- Grants judges more flexibility to hold offenders in jail while they await trial;
- Empowers the Attorney General to ban dangerous new drugs by emergency regulation; and
- Ensures judges can consider out-of-state criminal charges when making pre-trial release decisions.
These tougher crime rules compliment significant Senate investments in public safety. The Senate’s operating budget included up to $12 million to hire and retrain new troopers. The capital budget included $2 million each for crime prevention and response equipment for the Alaska State Troopers and the Anchorage Police Department; $75,000 to bolster community watch programs; $100,000 for community patrols in Anchorage; and $2.5 million to process a backlog of sexual assault kits.
HB 312 now goes to the Alaska House of Representatives for concurrence.
For more information, contact Senate Majority Press Secretary Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Incorporating feedback from Alaskans across the state, Senator Mike Shower, R-Mat-Su Valley, today in the Senate State Affairs Committee unveiled a new version of Senate Bill...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation to ensure Alaska veterans are fully aware of free Veteran Service Organization (VSO) services they are entitled to....
JUNEAU – In the wake of the 2019 loss of accreditation for the University of Alaska Anchorage’s School of Education, the Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill requiring the...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation expanding access to college coursework for public high school students.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has awarded a contract to revitalize its port facility in Ketchikan, Alaska so that the NOAA Ship Fairweather can finally be...
The Alaska Senate passed Senate Bill 19 unanimously today, extending the Special Education Service Agency’s (SESA) sunset date to June 30, 2029.
JUNEAU – A joint resolution that urges for the completion of a federal land grant endowment to the University of Alaska, SJR 8, was passed today by the Alaska Senate....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill to merge oversight of emergency medical services system (EMS) under a single agency.
The Alaska Legislature today unanimously passed Senate Bill 24, allowing corporate shareholder meetings and nonprofit member meetings to be held electronically....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed Senate Bill 24, allowing corporate shareholder meetings and nonprofit member meetings to be held electronically....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska