News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Stedman
For Immediate Release: August 03, 2020
Senator Stedman Thanks U.S. Coast Guard for 230 Years of Service
“I want to thank the brave men and women who protect my district and our state from danger and help protect our citizens, their property and the environment we live in,” Sen. Stedman said. “On behalf of our communities, I would like to honor USCG District 17, that is always there to help and protect Alaskans when they call for help in distress.”
The 17th District serves all of Alaska and encompasses over 47,300 miles of shoreline throughout the state and the Arctic.
“I commend the USCG members especially for their vigilance among our communities to help keep people safe and healthy and reduce the spread of COVID-19,” Sen. Stedman said. “These essential men and women have been working hard throughout the pandemic to keep our safety standards and laws upheld and protect and rescue Alaskans.”
Throughout the pandemic, District 17 has adapted and maintained operational readiness to continue missions and response.
“The Coast Guard pushes the limit in responding to maritime incidents and we are thankful that they are always at the ready to respond to emergencies,” Sen. Stedman said.
During an average month, the District 17 Coast Guard saves 22 lives, assists 53 people, reports and investigates 25 marine causalities, performs 143 commercial fishing vessel safety exams, saves over $1.65 million in property and performs 95 marine inspections. They have been serving the Last Frontier since 1867.
Photo courtesy of Coast Guard Air Station Sitka.
For more information contact: Mollie Barnes, firstname.lastname@example.org, 907-465-1729.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – State Senator Bert Stedman, R-Southeast Islands, today issued the following statement thanking U.S. Senators Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan for successfully passing the...
JUNEAU – Senate Bill 27, a bill allowing for more business opportunities for industrial hemp, was unanimously passed by the Alaska Senate today.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed Senate Bill 69, encouraging private investment in renewable energy projects by extending an exemption from duplicative government...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed Senate Bill 101, extending the Citizens’ Advisory Commission on Federal Management Areas in Alaska (CACFA) to June 30, 2029....
The Alaska Senate unanimously passed Senate Joint Resolution 13 today, aiming to improve broadband internet access, speed, capacity and affordability throughout the state....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed House Bill 76 to ensure Alaskans impacted by COVID-19 continue to receive millions of dollars in federal relief.
JUNEAU – Incorporating feedback from Alaskans across the state, Senator Mike Shower, R-Mat-Su Valley, today in the Senate State Affairs Committee unveiled a new version of Senate Bill...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation to ensure Alaska veterans are fully aware of free Veteran Service Organization (VSO) services they are entitled to....
JUNEAU – In the wake of the 2019 loss of accreditation for the University of Alaska Anchorage’s School of Education, the Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill requiring the...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation expanding access to college coursework for public high school students.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska