News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Stedman
For Immediate Release: August 03, 2020
Senator Stedman Thanks U.S. Coast Guard for 230 Years of Service
“I want to thank the brave men and women who protect my district and our state from danger and help protect our citizens, their property and the environment we live in,” Sen. Stedman said. “On behalf of our communities, I would like to honor USCG District 17, that is always there to help and protect Alaskans when they call for help in distress.”
The 17th District serves all of Alaska and encompasses over 47,300 miles of shoreline throughout the state and the Arctic.
“I commend the USCG members especially for their vigilance among our communities to help keep people safe and healthy and reduce the spread of COVID-19,” Sen. Stedman said. “These essential men and women have been working hard throughout the pandemic to keep our safety standards and laws upheld and protect and rescue Alaskans.”
Throughout the pandemic, District 17 has adapted and maintained operational readiness to continue missions and response.
“The Coast Guard pushes the limit in responding to maritime incidents and we are thankful that they are always at the ready to respond to emergencies,” Sen. Stedman said.
During an average month, the District 17 Coast Guard saves 22 lives, assists 53 people, reports and investigates 25 marine causalities, performs 143 commercial fishing vessel safety exams, saves over $1.65 million in property and performs 95 marine inspections. They have been serving the Last Frontier since 1867.
Photo courtesy of Coast Guard Air Station Sitka.
For more information contact: Mollie Barnes, firstname.lastname@example.org, 907-465-1729.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Incorporating feedback from Alaskans across the state, Senator Mike Shower, R-Mat-Su Valley, today in the Senate State Affairs Committee unveiled a new version of Senate Bill...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation to ensure Alaska veterans are fully aware of free Veteran Service Organization (VSO) services they are entitled to....
JUNEAU – In the wake of the 2019 loss of accreditation for the University of Alaska Anchorage’s School of Education, the Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill requiring the...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation expanding access to college coursework for public high school students.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has awarded a contract to revitalize its port facility in Ketchikan, Alaska so that the NOAA Ship Fairweather can finally be...
The Alaska Senate passed Senate Bill 19 unanimously today, extending the Special Education Service Agency’s (SESA) sunset date to June 30, 2029.
JUNEAU – A joint resolution that urges for the completion of a federal land grant endowment to the University of Alaska, SJR 8, was passed today by the Alaska Senate....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill to merge oversight of emergency medical services system (EMS) under a single agency.
The Alaska Legislature today unanimously passed Senate Bill 24, allowing corporate shareholder meetings and nonprofit member meetings to be held electronically....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed Senate Bill 24, allowing corporate shareholder meetings and nonprofit member meetings to be held electronically....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska