News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Stevens
For Immediate Release: June 22, 2020
State Senators Thank UA President Johnsen for His Service
ANCHORAGE – Members of the Alaska Senate today issued the following statements after hearing news of University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen’s resignation.
“I am grateful for the dedicated leadership of President Johnsen through the most trying times this state and the University of Alaska have faced,” said Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage. “His commitment to a viable and excellent institution has been unrelenting. As a member of the Alaska Senate, and an alumna, he has my sincere gratitude.”
“President Johnsen has led the University of Alaska during the most tumultuous times it has experienced,” said Senator Gary Stevens, R-Kodiak. “He accomplished all that was asked of him with dignity, courage, inclusiveness and honor. It has been a pleasure working with him as chair of the Senate Education Committee. He responded to our concerns and questions quickly, honestly and respectfully. The problems he faced were not of his own making but a result of draconian cuts to the budget and the COVID-19 crises. President Johnsen has much to offer and will continue to be a leader in higher education for many years to come.”
For more information, contact Senate Majority Communications Director Daniel McDonald at (907) 465-4066.
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – State Senator Bert Stedman, R-Southeast Islands, today issued the following statement thanking U.S. Senators Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan for successfully passing the...
JUNEAU – Senate Bill 27, a bill allowing for more business opportunities for industrial hemp, was unanimously passed by the Alaska Senate today.
JUNEAU – The Alaska Legislature today passed Senate Bill 69, encouraging private investment in renewable energy projects by extending an exemption from duplicative government...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed Senate Bill 101, extending the Citizens’ Advisory Commission on Federal Management Areas in Alaska (CACFA) to June 30, 2029....
The Alaska Senate unanimously passed Senate Joint Resolution 13 today, aiming to improve broadband internet access, speed, capacity and affordability throughout the state....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today passed House Bill 76 to ensure Alaskans impacted by COVID-19 continue to receive millions of dollars in federal relief.
JUNEAU – Incorporating feedback from Alaskans across the state, Senator Mike Shower, R-Mat-Su Valley, today in the Senate State Affairs Committee unveiled a new version of Senate Bill...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation to ensure Alaska veterans are fully aware of free Veteran Service Organization (VSO) services they are entitled to....
JUNEAU – In the wake of the 2019 loss of accreditation for the University of Alaska Anchorage’s School of Education, the Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill requiring the...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation expanding access to college coursework for public high school students.
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska