News from the Alaska State Legislature, the Office of Senator Stevens
For Immediate Release: April 07, 2021
Alaska Senate Passes Bill Requiring UA to Deliver Accreditation Report
JUNEAU – In the wake of the 2019 loss of accreditation for the University of Alaska Anchorage’s School of Education, the Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill requiring the Board of Regents to prepare a biennial report on accreditation for all University of Alaska instructional programs.
“Establishing a reporting requirement on the subject of UA system-wide accreditation is an effort toward improving communication and awareness, the intent being to help avoid seeing such an unexpected accreditation loss from happening again,” said Senator Gary Stevens, R-Kodiak, the bill’s sponsor. “Other reporting requirements have been installed and proven effective for the University of Alaska to maintain clear lines of communication with the Alaska Legislature. Including a biennial report on the status of the UA’s accreditations seems timely and appropriate.”
Senate Bill 36 would require, no later than the 30th legislative day of the first regular session, the University of Alaska Board of Regents to deliver a report to the Legislature that evaluates the quality and effectiveness of its instructional programs and to describe efforts to achieve or maintain accreditation.
For each instructional program that has lost or is at risk of losing accreditation, the report must describe the university’s plan to address the loss or risk.
SB 36 passed the Senate by a vote of 20-0. It is now on its way to the Alaska House of Representatives for consideration.
Alaska Senate Majority
News & Videos more >
JUNEAU – Incorporating feedback from Alaskans across the state, Senator Mike Shower, R-Mat-Su Valley, today in the Senate State Affairs Committee unveiled a new version of Senate Bill...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation to ensure Alaska veterans are fully aware of free Veteran Service Organization (VSO) services they are entitled to....
JUNEAU – In the wake of the 2019 loss of accreditation for the University of Alaska Anchorage’s School of Education, the Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill requiring the...
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed legislation expanding access to college coursework for public high school students.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has awarded a contract to revitalize its port facility in Ketchikan, Alaska so that the NOAA Ship Fairweather can finally be...
The Alaska Senate passed Senate Bill 19 unanimously today, extending the Special Education Service Agency’s (SESA) sunset date to June 30, 2029.
JUNEAU – A joint resolution that urges for the completion of a federal land grant endowment to the University of Alaska, SJR 8, was passed today by the Alaska Senate....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed a bill to merge oversight of emergency medical services system (EMS) under a single agency.
The Alaska Legislature today unanimously passed Senate Bill 24, allowing corporate shareholder meetings and nonprofit member meetings to be held electronically....
JUNEAU – The Alaska Senate today unanimously passed Senate Bill 24, allowing corporate shareholder meetings and nonprofit member meetings to be held electronically....
Find your Senator full map
- Chugiak/Peters Creek
- Eagle River
- Jewel Lake, Kincaid, Turnagain, Lake Hood, Sand Lake, Spenard, Dimond, Campbell Lake
- Midtown, Dimond, Huffman, Klatt, Southport, Bayshore, Oceanview
- Huffman, O'Malley, Abbott, Loop, Independence Park, East Dowling
- Northeast Anchorage, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood and Portage
- Downtown, Airport Heights, Fairview, Government Hill, Mountain View, Russian Jack, South Addition
- Spenard, Midtown, UMed
- Muldoon, JBER, College Gate, Nunaka Valley, Wonder Park
- Palmer, Butte, Eklutna, Fairview, Lazy Mountain Knik, Gateway
- Wasilla, Meadow Lakes, Knik Big Lake, Point MacKenzie, Goose Bay, North Fairview
- Mat-Su, Delta Junction, Valdez, Copper River Valley, Talkeetna, Valdez
- North Pole, Farmers Loop
- UAF & University West, Chena Ridge, Cantwell, Nenana, Tanana, Kenny Lake, Tok, Copper Center & Tanana
- Adak, Bethel, Cold Bay, King Cove, Sand Point & Unalaska
- Barrow, Nome, Kotzebue, Hooper Bay, Northeast + Northwest Alaska